jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If I wanted to adopt or purchase a cat, what kinds should I consider and why?

1. Leah-G profile image59
    Leah-Gposted 6 years ago

If I wanted to adopt or purchase a cat, what kinds should I consider and why?

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image57
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

First of all, please do not purchase a cat-adopt a cat from your local shelter. They are waiting to be loved. Cats at shelters may never be loved. Please consider too adopting an adult cat.

3. cre8ivOne profile image75
    cre8ivOneposted 6 years ago

I personally have two ragdolls and they are very docile and loving.  I don't know how often you would find ragdolls in adoption sites but they are awesome and floppy.

Your best bet is to spend time at adoption sites getting to know the kittens personality and temperment.  You will want to watch to see if they are timid or aggressive.

4. regina s profile image58
    regina sposted 6 years ago

hello!  i am a huge cat lover and would highly recommend you go straight to your local SPCA, animal shelter...and find a sweet kitty who needs to be adopted!  most of the shelters will have a web-page with pictures and information on each cat...how old, are they fixed, do they get along with other animals and children...is the cat a lap cat or a cat that wants to be outdoors...etc.  you can of course get a cat that is of a certain breed, and i love all kitties so that is great too...but the shelter kitties are soooo sweet and need homes...please consider a shelter kitty!  i have had three shelter kitties and all three lived to be almost 20!  they were fantastic kitties and now i am looking at our local shelter for another baby to take home!  good luck and have fun!  meow! smile

5. Leah-G profile image59
    Leah-Gposted 6 years ago

Thanks ladies! A few more questions: What are ragdolls? I know I could easily google this, but thought you might have a better answer. We are definitely planning on adopting, but was wondering things like is shorter hair better if we have allergies, what breeds are best for when we have children, how do you know if it should be indoors or outdoors cat (especially since here in CO we have LOTS of wild predators near our own backyards! smile

Any thoughts on stuff like this?