jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it OK to swat at a dog's nose if he's lunging to attack a cat?

1. profile image47
    Aquixposted 6 years ago

Is it OK to swat at a dog's nose if he's lunging to attack a cat?

I don't believe in hitting dogs. I believe in training dogs using consistent, calm, & positive motivational techniques that are practiced regularly. I prefer to shape rather than force a dog's behavior. Recently, however, my mother's leashed Yorkie (who we've been patiently working with to accept my newly-moved-in cat) recently lunged at the cat with jaws open, giving me the impression that he was about to bite the cat. I responded to the immediate threat by swatting the dog on the nose with a firm "No!"  Then I put him in a submissive down position until he relaxed.  Was I being abusive?

2. aka-dj profile image76
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

No. It not OK.
    Let the dog do what comes naturally. If it wants to tear the cat to shreds, let him!

We have too many cats in the world already!

Well, no, I didn't mean that. I think it's got to do with jealousy on the dogs part. I thinks it will need some training to get them to know who's "top dog", and then it should all settle. smile

3. penelopae profile image72
    penelopaeposted 6 years ago

No! You could get bitten yourself. Try putting some gravel in an empty soda can and giving it a sharp rattle when the dog goes for the cat. Dogs don't like the startling sound. Good luck!

4. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 6 years ago

To be honest, in this situation I'd likely behave as you did. It's not nice to swat a dog, but this has to be weighed up against the potential consequences of not letting the dog know that his behaviour towards the cat is unacceptable.

5. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 6 years ago

Honestly, to be blunt, no swatting is not the way to go. It can be a temporary management technique to prevent your dog from gaining access to your cat and protect it from harm, but you need to find a better training method. Your dog may get defensive and re-direct its frustration on you, this could result in a bite. Also, swatting can make a dog to be head shy, not to mention it hurts the dog/owner bond.

Rather, you should teach your dog a strong ''leave it'' command. I already made a hub about this, which is here:

http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/How-to … l-the-Like