jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we feed milk to cats, but not dogs?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image70
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Why do we feed milk to cats, but not dogs?

How do we know that cats like milk and dogs doesn't?

2. pstraubie48 profile image88
    pstraubie48posted 5 years ago

I am not sure but I think it may be a digestive issue; do not have time to research at this time as I am on a public computer. New cable is being dug as I type this so soon I will be back on here answering and commenting and writing..I have missed this!!!

3. Dragonrain profile image84
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

Cats drinking from a saucer of milk is a common iconic image.  It's well known that dogs love dairy products such as cheese.  There are even companies out there that make ice cream for pets.  But did you know that like in humans, pets can suffer... read more

4. landscapeartist profile image78
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

milk may be good for a kitten but it is actually not all that good for an adult cat.  They are subjected to diarrhea and it can cause stomach problems such as cramps and even vomitting.  Cats are lactose intolerant and should actually be given water. 
    However; there is a milk product called Cats Milk that is specially treated for cats so they don't get sick and all pukey.
    In large quantities it is dangerous for them.  To a kitten that is under the age of 8 weeks, milk is a much needed food, but, if they cannot get it from their mother then you need to go to your pet store and purchase the kitten milk formula.

5. urgurl_bri profile image82
    urgurl_briposted 5 years ago

I don't know why some people do but I know they really shouldn't.  Too much milk for cats can cause lactose intolerance and they will get bad upset stomachs.

http://urgurlbri.hubpages.com/hub/Foods … e-Your-Cat

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Dogs can drink milk - my parents believed their dog needed regular milk, just like humans. You couldn't tell them otherwise. However, dogs like some humans can be lactose intolerant, meaning they lack the enzyme, lactase to break down lactose in milk. As a professional dog trainer I use cheese as training treats and have never had a problem. While some vets might advise against using cheese due to the fat content, I have never seen any adverse effects from feeding milk products. I give my dogs ice cream as a treat in the summer time!

working