jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What are alternative sources of calcium if you are lactose intolerant?

1. jpcmc profile image90
    jpcmcposted 4 years ago

What are alternative sources of calcium if you are lactose intolerant?

2. Alphadogg16 profile image92
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

There are many foods that come calcium fortified such as orange juice, cranberry juice, and some breakfast cereals. Salmon and baked beans are also a good source of calcium. Make sure you are supplementing vitamin D in your diet, as it assists the body in absorbing calcuim.

1. cathylynn99 profile image77
      cathylynn99posted 4 years agoin reply to this

for salmon to be good for calcium, one must eat the bones. dark leafy greens have calcium.

2. Alphadogg16 profile image92
      Alphadogg16posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I should have specified, canned salmon, 3 ounces have approximately 180 mg of calcium

3. jpcmc profile image90
      jpcmcposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking of getting calcium supplements but I want to go natural first..

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 4 years ago

Pistachios are a great calcium snack plus some other good nutrition. I plan on adding them to my diet just finding this out and not knowing just what exactly you get in milk.

4. delaneyworld profile image79
    delaneyworldposted 4 years ago

I find supplements to be the easiest and most efficient way to give my family what we need.  My daughter and I both are on medication that can lead to bone loss later in life.  We are both lactose intolerant.  I found a great supplement that is a chew containing both Calcium and Vitamin D.  The Vitamin D helps your body process the Calcium properly.  The chews are tasty, fun and we simply leave the bottle on the counter so we do not forget to take them.  The ingredients are all natural.  It works great for us!

5. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

my mom can't take milk, so she had carrots and anchovies for calcium

working