jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Two female dogs? Is that a good idea?

1. profile image49
    kimmulder1posted 5 years ago

Two female dogs? Is that a good idea?

Sam, my 12 yr old Staffie and Sage my 7 week old pitbull x (i think).. Im trying to introduce them to each other every day, Sam has not growled at Sage or barked at her, what I have noticed is Sam trying pick at her with her small front teeth, like she is cleaning her or looking for fleas.. I feel Sam is abit 'fast' or abit hard with Sage, all this has happened with Sage in my arms, after reading a few stories here I am scared that they wont get along, I know its early days but I dont want to give either one of them away.. Any advice PLS

2. kgarcia1113 profile image72
    kgarcia1113posted 5 years ago

Introducing an older dog that has grown very attached to a young new pup can take some time. It is generally easier to get them to interact with each other in a proper way if you are not holding the pup. Putting your older dog on a leash and letting the pup walk around may be a better idea. This way the older dog doesn't feel like the puppy is getting all of your love. It will also help because you want to be in control of the larger dog if things go south. It is hard to imagine a dog that you have had for years getting aggressive towards a little puppy but for safety of both dogs it really is the best way to go.

I have had quite a bit of experience introducing dogs to one another and as long as your older dog doesn't have or hasn't shown any aggression towards other dogs in the past you should be fine. I have two young bullies and when they meet new dogs I never hold them or the other dogs. It may cause more tension and stress making the situation dangerous for both dogs.

1. profile image49
      kimmulder1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi, thanks for the response, will definetly try that..

3. Nettlemere profile image94
    Nettlemereposted 5 years ago

It sounds like you're going about it the right way and you're not giving the youngster the chance to tire out the old dog or constantly annoy it. I would suggest that if you see behaviour you don't like from either of them, the perpetrator could just be put in a separate room for a couple of minutes, then let back in with you and the other dog. That way good behaviour with each other is rewarded by continuing to spend time in the room with you which ends if they don't behave as you want.