jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think dogs should take multivitamins?

1. ShepherdLover profile image71
    ShepherdLoverposted 5 years ago

Do you think dogs should take multivitamins?

I saw them for sale at PetSmart the other day, and I'd never thought about giving my dog multivitamins since he gets a pretty balanced diet, but it made me wonder...

2. PDXKaraokeGuy profile image82
    PDXKaraokeGuyposted 5 years ago

I give my dogs Glucosamine and Fish oil. It can't hurt

3. Dragonrain profile image85
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

Most high quality diets contain all the vitamins and minerals that dog's need anyways, so there's not much point in giving them multivitamins.

4. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 5 years ago

I think too much vitamins is bad for anyone, animals or humans. If you are feeding your dog and good grade of dog food... not from walmart or dollar store or any grocery store...but a really good grade then you wouldn't need any vitamins unless the dog is older or sickly.

They make anything and everything to get people's money! I wouldn't give my dog vitamins unless he gets older and needs that extra source...but for now his dog food is all the vitamins he needs---unless he gets sick (knock on wood).

5. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

Feeding your pet a quality dog food should provide him with all of the vitamins they need. I do give mine brewers yeast tablets though. They help prevent tick and flea bites and infestations without the toxic pesticides in the commercial flea products.

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

No. They should not take them unless prescribed by a veterinarian for a specific reason. Good quality dog foods provide adequate nutrition.  Furthermore, as someone who has studied dog biology and pet nutrition at the college level, I can tell you that it is very tricky to get just the right amount and right balance of nutrients necessary for health in an animal's diet. Supplementing with over-the-counter vitamins and other nutrients can upset this balance and result in health problems, some of which are serious.

working