jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Do you approve of tipping dog groomers?

1. daisynicolas profile image79
    daisynicolasposted 5 years ago

Do you approve of tipping dog groomers?

It puzzles me when I see a tip jar, or when asked about it directly considering $50 is stiff already as a basic grooming fee.

2. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

It's like any other service business..... You may/should tip EMPLOYEES, but NOT the owner.....

daisynicolasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True. And I know based on craigslist's job ads on dog groomers, they don't get paid that much either.

3. Petfriends profile image61
    Petfriendsposted 5 years ago

I think if I saw a tip jar for a groomer I would question whether I would use them. I would be concerned that the tip would in some way have an impact on how my pet was treated.  If my tip was considered not up to par would my pet suffer on the return visit?  Hmm, it just leaves a bad taste for me.  I'd rather they up the price, treating all pets equally.

Good point to consider.

4. Dragonrain profile image84
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

I don't disapprove of it.  It's similar to if you where to eat at a restaurant, or get your own hair done at a salon.  No one is forcing you to leave a tip, but it's appreciated.  Remember that even if you are paying $50, usually only a percentage of that is going to the employee who actually did all the work of grooming your dog. Groomers working in shops usually work on commission.  It's the shop that makes the most money, not the individual groomer.

I groom my dog at home, so I don't have to worry about paying or tipping groomers.  If I ever where to take him to a groomer, and they did a good job with him, I'd give at least a small tip.

Good answer. Gracious and well-meaning.

5. NetBlots profile image44
    NetBlotsposted 5 years ago

If they do a good job, and you can afford to, why not?

Thanks, for stopping by and voicing out your generosity.

6. lifeoflata profile image60
    lifeoflataposted 5 years ago

If they ask for it no...but if they don't look for a tip and they did a great job then yes. You should tip any type of service that is exceptional as long as a tip is not the reason they are doing it for. It's my way of saying I appreciate their service

And that's my concern, that they ask for it. I wonder what other dog groomers think? I also wonder that for all the service jobs we commission, should we tip?  For example, dry cleaners, carpentry, gardening, etc.?

2. lifeoflata profile image60
      lifeoflataposted 5 years agoin reply to this

if someone does a great job, your just showing gratitude. Others know when they don't do a good job and it's on them. I believe any type of service deserves a tip if they go above and beyond. If not, the best way to show gratitude is coming back.

working