jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

How long do you usually walk your dog?

1. CZCZCZ profile image84
    CZCZCZposted 5 years ago

How long do you usually walk your dog?

We have a small dog and generally go for 10 - 15 minute walk each day and occasionally do a long walk of over an hour.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image98
    Melissa A Smithposted 5 years ago

...........About 10-15 minutes..........

3. daisynicolas profile image80
    daisynicolasposted 5 years ago

In the morning, between 30 to 45 minutes. At lunch, 15 to 20 minutes. In the afternoon, one hour to two hours depending on what distracts her. In the summer, an addtional 15 minute walk before bedtime.

4. Nettlemere profile image93
    Nettlemereposted 5 years ago

My 16 year old German shepherd cross has a 10 minute walk and 1/2 an hour to an hour longer walk most days. My terrier and labrador (4 + 11) have that plus an hour most days. On weekends and holidays anything up to 4 or occasionally 5 hours. But that's because I like walking not because they need it.

5. Judi Bee profile image96
    Judi Beeposted 5 years ago

Three times a day for between 40 minutes and an hour each time.  Longer walks at the weekends if weather is OK.  As it is getting warmer and she doesn't like the heat, we will probably do four shorter walks, avoiding midday as much as possible.

She is a two and a half year old Airedale Terrier and pretty energetic!

6. mary615 profile image93
    mary615posted 5 years ago

Baby, my Miniature Schnauzer, has trained me to walk for about a mile every afternoon when the sun goes down.  She has a big front yard to play in, but nothing makes her happier than a walk.

7. afriqnet profile image52
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

Once in two days. If I have enough time I can do it on daily basis. Dogs have to be walked from time to time to help them improve their health. I have seen obese dogs in the recent past

8. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

That's good! Many people don't walk their dogs at all! A rule of thumb is to walk your dog at least 1/4 of a mile for every 10 pounds of body weight each day.

According to Dr. A. Luescher, board-certified veterinary behaviorist, formerly of Purdue University, one of the most important things you can do for your dog's mental health is to take him/her on a minimum of a once daily walk OFF the property.

I walk my own dogs less than I let them run off leash in areas where I can do this away from other people and dogs - out in the country. But my dogs both have excellent recall. I do not recommend this unless your dog has excellent recall and I do not recommend doing it in town.

9. Desertarmor profile image72
    Desertarmorposted 5 years ago

That sounds great to me, I have 2 large dogs and walk them for 30 minures a day, and on weekends we go for an hour or so (all depending on weather of couse)

10. profile image56
    consentinoposted 5 years ago

Well, that usually depends on how much time I have, after getting home from work.  But, I would say at least an hour.