jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)

Do Pet Reduces Stress?

1. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image78
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 5 years ago

Do Pet Reduces Stress?

People like to keep Pets. They love them a lot. Do these pets reduces our stress. 

2. karthikkash profile image90
    karthikkashposted 5 years ago

I think they do. Especially if you have a dog as a pet. Cats are cute, but probably no other pet can love you as much as a dog would. I don't own either and I love both animals equally. But I have seen that whenever I am with a dog, I have always felt lighter.

1. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image78
      ZIa Ahmed khanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes they reduce stress, even parrots are great and so are lamb.

3. Scribenet profile image86
    Scribenetposted 5 years ago

Yes and no...depends on the pet and if it is the correct one for you and your family.
    I have had both cats and dogs. There were times they stressed me out...the dog who suffered separation anxiety if we left her alone even though she was totally adorable when we were around. i also had one cat who began to show "her" stress by wetting a spot on the carpet every day. so nice to be washing carpet day in and day out!

That said, my current cat is totally cool and compatible with me....though he coughs up hairballs and sometimes I have to wash his behind when things get stuck...so you see...that can be stressful. ( for us both)..but over all...pets reduce stress...lol

4. RichieMogwai profile image76
    RichieMogwaiposted 5 years ago

I thinks so, I think having a pet like a dog or cat reduces stress.  I read in a study somewhere that just looking at a photo of a cute pet can significantly reduce stress, so how much more if you have a real pet.  I have seen it in action, too, my friend Maria who has pug seems more relaxed than I am.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Depends upon the pet. I can't stand dogs because they stress me out. My cats help keep me a little calm. The turtle just exists. So it depends upon your personality and the pet under discussion.

6. dancergirl238 profile image78
    dancergirl238posted 5 years ago

Yes absolutely, beyond the shadow of a doubt

7. The Fridge profile image78
    The Fridgeposted 5 years ago

To a certain degree yes. I think the type of pet determines the stress help.
    I do not think a pet porcupine, skunk, or snake produces a stress free situation. I mean you can't pet the porcupine, a scent gland removed from a skunk does not make it odor free, a snake, now come on ,when that python is slithering around your neck your relaxed knowing any moment he could have a muscle cramp and tighten up.

Now a dog,  a cat, a bunny, a chicken yes I can see these relieving stress. A dog just seems to know when you are stressed the most, a cat purring but not smelling is stress easement, a bunny just likes to cuddle and helps stress hop out of you, and seeing your chickens walk around your yard pecking at whatever provides a calming effect on the aurora you are sharing with them.

8. bizzymom profile image75
    bizzymomposted 5 years ago

Yes, absolutely YES!!!  I actually saw something on the local news this past Friday night.  A woman brings her dog to visit patients in the hospital who are undergoing chemo and have other ailments and the doctors have noticed the patients are less nervous when the dog is there.  Their blood pressure goes down and they do not feel as afraid.  This woman also brings her dog to the local library and there is a list of children just waiting to read stories to him.  He just sits there listening intently as the children read; the kids do not feel pressure and are learning to enjoy reading aloud.  I have a small dog and she definitely is a comfort to have around.  A pets love is truly unconditional.  At the end of the day, she plops herself on my lap as I watch tv with my family and it is very relaxing and comforting to just pet her every so often.  She might ask for a belly rub every now and then and we all oblige because it makes us happy to have her as part of our family.  Great question!

9. mary615 profile image92
    mary615posted 5 years ago

My Miniature Schnauzer, Baby, reduces my stress level.  She is such a good friend and companion.  I've written several Hubs about her and how important she is in my life.  If she were a problem dog like some dogs can be, I would say the opposite.  She and I understand each other very well.

10. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I honestly do feel that pets have the ability to help reduce stress in our lives. A faithful dog is always there by your side no matter how bad of a day you are having. Keep those good questions coming, and keep on hubbing  smile

11. profile image49
    Missylove21posted 5 years ago

YES, YES, YES.  You need to make sure that you find the right pet for you.  It has been proven that petting a pet reduces your blood pressure.  A couple of years ago I was suffering from panic attacks.  I had the chance to get a horse.  It was something that I had been wanting to do for many years.  I found the perfect horse for me.  Strangely enough his name that he came with is Copa, but they called him Cope.  My panic attacks have greatly reduced.  I am calm when I am with him.  That love that a pet shows you really brings your stress down.

12. A r F profile image78
    A r Fposted 5 years ago

From personal experience I think they do without a doubt.  When me dog (who I had for 12 years) passed away from congestive heart failure I began having panic attacks - something I have never had a problem with before.  When I adopted my new puppy, Lily, they went away.  Lily spends a lot of her time being a really obnoxious little dog, but just having her around gives me one constant in my life that I can depend on.