jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it normal for my dog to take the pillows off the couch, gnaw on them gently a

1. advisor4qb profile image79
    advisor4qbposted 4 years ago

Is it normal for my dog to take the pillows off the couch, gnaw on them gently and hide them under

the kitchen table?  He is half American Golden Retriever and half Yellow Lab.

2. luvtoowrite profile image43
    luvtoowriteposted 4 years ago

Dogs gnawing on anything is normal. Maybe your dog is trying to tell you something or your dog knows that he will be in trouble after he did something naughty and tried to hide it under the kitchen table. A professor of mine had a Lab and a German Shepherd, destroy all her very expensive  couch pillows; there were feathers everywhere. My dog on the other hand has a fetish for ink pens. Which reminds me, I need to buy more pens.

3. JayeWisdom profile image91
    JayeWisdomposted 4 years ago

I don't know about the gnawing and hiding bit, but my own dog (a mini schnauzer) doesn't like throw pillows being in her way when she jumps on the sofa or into an easy chair for a nap. She routinely butts with her head throw pillows onto the floor so she can stretch out in comfort with no "obstructions."  It's so funny (to me) when I walk into the living room and find several pillows scattered over the floor. It obviously doesn't take much to amuse me!

You don't say whether or not the pillows your dog is moving are small throw pillows (decorative) or the actual couch cushions. If the latter, especially since he's half Lab and some of them are major chewers (think Marley & Me), you may come home one day to find the sofa chewed to pieces. My granddaughter's Lab mix chewed up a large section of her mattress.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

Yes although I'm guessing it's a behavior that doesn't make you happy. For whatever reason both cats and dogs I've had have chosen something other than a toy and decided they just have to play with it. If he just started doing it, the time to break him of the habit is right now. If he's been doing it for some time, you have your work cut out for you.

5. advisor4qb profile image79
    advisor4qbposted 4 years ago

They are small, decorative pillows. Had a scare yesterday. My boyfriend left the gate open, and my dog ran away. I don't even know how long he was gone, but we found him one street over, thank goodness!!!