jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How long is normal for a bee sting to feel sore and hot to touch?

  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

    How long is normal for a bee sting to feel sore and hot to touch?

    I have searched Google and do not find an answer regarding timing. I was stung by 2 bees (whatever kind leaves the stinger) while mowing grass Saturday morning. They are still swollen, sore, and hot to the touch. Is there an expected amount of time they will stay like this. I'm ready for my calf to feel normal again.

  2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

    Hard to say without knowing the type of bee it was and how direct of a sting.  sometimes if you just get grazed as you get stung, the burn/swell doesn't last that long, but if you get a direct hit and have to pull the stinger out etc. that means you get a lot of venom.  If they got you in a muscle, it could take several days.  I got stung directly in the bottom of my foot by a bumble bee and it took about 4-5 days for it to stop being sore - of course I had to walk on it though.  A yellow jacket bee got me on the thigh - it was not a direct hit, it kind of grazed me and that was sore and swollen maybe a day or two - but fattier area no muscle smile.  It also depends on if you are allergic to the venom at all and if you did anything right away to extract some of the venom (baking soda or tobacco paste for example).

      If your allergic at all, it could take awhile.  Have you tried taking something like Benadryl? Also, take an NSAID like Ibuprofen to bring down swelling and fight soreness. I would think it should be back to normal within well less than a week.  If it doesn't start to improve soon, you might want to have it looked at.

    1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

      I have been taking both Benadryl and Ibu. I had to pull both stingers out. Did nothing except sit afterwards because allergic to wasps so didn't know my reaction to this kind. Should have tried to get some venom out.

  3. Sunardi profile image77
    Sunardiposted 3 years ago

    I think it depends on whom got stung. My friend didn't feel anything when a bee stung at his hand. My father father's hand took about a week to back to normal again.

    1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

      Thanks

  4. FeniqueS profile image74
    FeniqueSposted 3 years ago

    I agree with Christin S it is hard to say without knowing the type.  I would use Campho-Phenique on stings and cuts and cold sores.  It works pretty good too.   Check out this I found about some treatments of stings, which you may have looked at already;
    http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/allergy- … -treatment
    I do hope it clears up fast for you, I know those things hurt.

  5. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

    Christin's answer makes the best sense. I know this won't help you now, but if it happens again, put some medical grade ammonia on it immediately to help neutralize the venom. Pharmacies used to carry little ampules of ammonia for stings. I don't know if they do anymore.

  6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

    I was going to mention the same things Chrisin did. One of the main things about how long the pain and swelling will last does depend on if you're allergic and how bad that allergy is. The more allergic, the longer it will probably bother you. My sis-in-law is highly allergic and when she gets stung, it usually takes about a week before the swelling goes down.

    You did right by getting the stinger out quickly. The ammonia MzBeejabbers mentioned would help neutralize some of the venom. If you can't find that - and this will sound silly - but the old wives "cure" of putting chewing tobacco on it really does help. You don't have to chew it to get it wet. Buy a small bag and keep it handy. When you get stung, take a small wad, run it under some warm water, and apply it to the sting. Also, ice it as soon as possible to keep the swelling to a minimum.

 
working