Please help. I can't get my tetra neonfish alive.

1. profile image58
    LBfromTXposted 16 months ago

Please help. I can't get my tetra neonfish alive.

I have bought tetras twice. Once from my local pet store. We ended up getting behind an accident and the road was closed so it took us over 45 minutes to get home. I then bought a set of 7 glow tetras in a 10 lb tank from a neighbor who didn't want to maintain any longer. Needless to say they lived in an algae filled tank for about a month she said. Basically telling me these guys were indestructible ( exaggerating of course but basically saying their resilient little fellas).
    I get home super clean the rocks. The toys. The tank. Took better part of 2 hours. I put water in and reset the tank.

2. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 16 months ago

You may need help with your local tetra dealer to create a slightly acidic water environment for them of about 6.0 pH and a cool temperature of less than 77° F. This means, of course, that they probably will require their own aquarium tank.

3. cing design profile image83
    cing designposted 15 months ago

You don't mention whether your tank was cycled (or if the neighbor provided a filter with cycled media) to establish beneficial bacteria. If it wasn't, the ammonia and nitrites in the water could be killing your fish.