How can I draw a real looking animals.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image52
    looneygirlposted 14 years ago

How can I draw a real looking animals.

I can draw them from from draw 50 animals book, and they look decent, but when I draw from pictures I can't seem to make them look real.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Learning the basic shapes for drawing animals can help.  Here's one site that offers help.  There are lots of books and sites, however, and I think that would be where you could start.

From there, using a photograph to fill in details may help.

Since you say you can already draw them fairly well, you may want to take a different approach:  Study just one part of the animal (a leg, eyes, the fur, etc.)   Look for how shadows indicate things like muscles or how highlights can bring life to eyes or fur.  These are the things that make a drawing have depth and seem to come to life.

Your public library probably has lots of books on how to draw, show shadows, etc., and you may want to browse them.

3. Pamda Man profile image57
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Use pencil to draw circles and rectangles for your animal. Then give those shapes some fattening up and smoothing.  And then just shade in the whole thing, and some shadows as well. Simple enough.

4. profile image0
    FreedomChic1776posted 14 years ago

Its all in the shading.  Look at where the shadows and light fall on your picture.  I drew an elephant from a picture without going by the animal shape/books.  Just by looking at the shape, shadows and light I did a fairly decent job.  You can check it out at http://hubpages.com/hub/From-My-Head-to-My-Hand.

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I trace but that doesn't work for everything. You could cut out pictures and glue them. Or do something more abstract and it wouldn't matter. Peace.

6. robertsloan2 profile image77
    robertsloan2posted 14 years ago

Choose one type of animal at a time like "Horses" or "Cats" or "Dogs." Read online tutorials on drawing that animal. Take some photo references of the animal and also do some quick sketches of it. If you look at a live animal, say a sleeping cat, and try to draw it in under three minutes -- and then do that every time you see the cat sleeping -- eventually your eyes, your mind and your hand will get used to all its poses and proportions.

I've been studying my cat by taking reference photos and drawing him, usually while asleep but sometimes when he's sitting up awake, for several years. The more often I draw him, the more realistic he comes out. Realism takes practice and observation.

Good books can also help. I recommend "How to Draw Animals" by Jack Hamm, it costs $10 or so from Amazon or assorted bookshops and it's a Dover book. Don't even try reading through it except to skim and get an idea where things are. Work through it by section one animal at a time copying Jack Hamm's drawings until your copies look good like his. Then try drawing the real animal.

Practice, observation and study are the ways to draw real looking animals. Books like Hamm's are great for learning how to do textures for fur and feathers and scales like on a bird's feet or a snake. Getting eyes right means studying them for that type of animal. Put a cat's eyes on a horse and you have a weird monster (heck, give it fangs too and call it a good monster!) Same if you give it human eyes, it will be scary.

Cats have very short legs compared to people or horses. I began studying horses last year when I started getting comfortable with cats and they are so different. The joints in any animal's legs are different from the ones in human legs and that takes practice to know which way they bend and where.

One quick answer is to take a good photo of one, trace the outlines, then draw from the photo very carefully shading dark and light wherever it is even if you think it looks weird, wrong or stupid. It will come out right if you do it carefully. Try printing out the picture and marking a grid over it, then put a grid on your drawing paper and draw only what's in each square of the grid in order where that square is. This gives even total beginners great accuracy and real looking animals -- and it is good practice for getting them right without the grid too later on.

7. rvsource profile image61
    rvsourceposted 14 years ago

Hi Looneygirl,

If you want your drawings to look realistic, try these tips.

At first until you can get the outline correct just by sight, use a grid, or even trace it. Use these shortcuts at first and then later attempt without them. Pay particular attention to the eyes, nose, ears and etc. Not every creature is created equal and there are no exact science on eye placements and features, everyone varies a little, so you need to get them exact. The intitial sketch should be done very lightly so you can erase as needed.

Once you have the outline, if you are right handed, start from the left side, if you are left handed, start from the right side! This will help to keep the "smudging" to a minimum.

I use a soft .5 mechanical pencil, but you can use an ebony too if you like. Just color/shade the outline in. most of the drawing will be shaded a little. I focus on the difference in the shadows. If your picture has dark places, them make them dark on your drawing. Use a gummy type eraser to help with the highlights and erase mistakes. Finish it off my using a "tortillion" or blending stump to blend everything smoothly and make it look realistic.

Once you are finished spray the drawing with a clear cote or hairspray to protect it.

Happy drawing! I have plenty of drawing hubs on my hubpages and a portrait drawing website here http://www.soulreflectionsbyjeff.com/

Let me know what you think!

Jeff

8. profile image48
    juiciferposted 14 years ago

carefully look at whatever it is you are drawing.you should notice that there are no outlines.anytime i begin a drawing i always open it in photoshop and switch the mode to greyscale i then adjust the contrast a little to a lot darker and the briteness untill i am satisfied with the total look then 2 great quality prints,heres why two. on one of my prints i outline on the ref photo all of my darkest areas and take note as to any hardline placement. the other print keep as neat and clean as possible.these are the maps you use for completing the journey from begining to end. begin by chunking in all of your darkest areas. By the way I use vellum bristol for the paper as it can take a lot of abuse when you are shading and so forth, pencils are 9b woodless an assortment of blending stumps and a kneaded eraser. once you have all the darkest areas in take a look at the next darkest areas and start those once you have all of your landmarks squared away the real fun begins...

9. lostohanababy profile image56
    lostohanababyposted 9 years ago

Patience and Practice!  Animals are a little harder, for me, but you can do it.  Take your time and have a good lamp or light to help with the applying of the background and underground area of your paper or board you attempting to draw your animal.   Save your better paper for when you make your best copy..if you are drawing it for someone.   Make thumbnail sketches.  Like one large sheet(note book size).  Make as many squares as you want.  Either fold or draw with a ruler.  Treat each square individually.  This will help build up your sense of perspective and get a working angle of the animal from photo to your paper.  Do a day or a few minutes a day of drawing across the squares different images of your animal.  Close up.  Try to capture the best image possible to your naked eye and to your senses in drawing to your ability.        Sorry, I didn't mean to be crowding you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)