jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why are some Paintings worth Millions of Money? ($£)

1. Lady_E profile image76
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

Why are some Paintings worth Millions of Money? ($£)

I know the people who painted them are talented, but they are paintings. I am just curious...

2. Bendo13 profile image80
    Bendo13posted 7 years ago

Yeah it doesn't make sense for them to cost THAT much other than the fact of a few things...

They might have been the first person to paint in a certain style and if you want to learn from the best you might want their painting....

It could also be a painting that EVERYONE wants, but there is only one original and chances are the artist is dead... so that makes it very rare, which makes it worth more.

Think of some of the most common possessions we have today, we all want them otherwise we wouldn't have them... now change things around so that there is only ONE original and the rest are copies of that, which means less quality... someone's going to pay millions to get that original!

3. Yanniz profile image59
    Yannizposted 7 years ago

Because some people with lots of money have addiction of collecting over valuated things. The price is as high as someone is ready to pay for the piece of art. I don't think that it represents the real artistic value.

4. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Every painting is unique, which will give it an increase in value.
    Some artists are more skilled than others at eliciting an emotional response with their paintings.
    Value is added to paintings that have lasted many decades or centuries.
    The media hypes certain fashions/styles in art and the slaves follow.
    They have to be expensive for artists to manage to make a living after the gallery and agent have taken their cut.
    But when we get to the bottom line (excuse the cliche) they command the price that people are willing to pay.

5. June McEwan profile image69
    June McEwanposted 7 years ago

Whether its art or not. Everything is worth whatever someone will pay.

working