jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the 10 most famous paintings in the world?

1. Global-Chica profile image95
    Global-Chicaposted 5 years ago

What are the 10 most famous paintings in the world?

2. signgirl profile image76
    signgirlposted 5 years ago

You've probably seen what the so-called experts say the most famous paintings in the world are---but the only one they agree on (in order) is the Mona Lisa by Da Vinci.  As a painter myself--If you are not going by the sale price paid--it is a matter of individual taste.  I don't agree that the Mona Lisa is number one.  I have always loved Michelangelo's work far more--and even Leonardo himself felt that he was a better artist.  However, the "experts" do all list Van Gogh ( Starry Night ), Vermeer ( Girl With the Pearl Earring), Monet ( His Garden painting or his Water Lillies), Picasso (Guernica ), Renoir (Luncheon at the Boating Party), also on the list is Rembrandt ( Night Watch), Botticelli (Birth of Venus), other great artists included are Dali, Goya, Cezanne, Gainsborough, Kanagawa-(his wave painting), and Rubens, Munch(The Scream)and other more modern artists like Georgia O'Keefe--so your guess is as good as mine.  The great thing about good art is--there is something beautiful or expressive for all of us to enjoy.

3. penofone profile image61
    penofoneposted 5 years ago

sdl or by waves of reproduction are commonly found on the net. Check out Net Zero or Price is the Sum of mangaging priniciples of production. It is commonly erred that the paintings need to be reproduced in order to be famous. EEEEH! the best paintings come from the heart of a bleeding man, most likely the worst of the best make it to the top of the list..... I love a Starry Night in the world's Black and White answer. God is great to a woman.

B,B,

4. ElenaShares profile image68
    ElenaSharesposted 5 years ago

Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci
    Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh
    The Kiss by Gustav Klimt
    Luncheon of the Boating Party by Pierre Auguste Renoir
    Girl with a Pearl Earring by Jan Vermeer
    Cafe Terrace at Night
    Corner of the Garden at Montgeron by Claude Monet
    The Dream by Pablo Picasso
    The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali
    From the Lake by Georgia O' Keeffe

5. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image85
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7620221_f260.jpg

I'm not really an expert. This is pure speculation on my part based on paintings I recognized even before I began to seriously study art history. In no particular order:

The Mona Lisa - Leonardo Da Vinci

Girl With a Pearl Earring - Johannes Vermeer

The Lady of Shalott - John William Waterhouse

Starry Night - Vincent Van Gogh

The Scream - Edvard Munch

The Birth of Venus - Botticelli

The Last Judgement - Michelangelo (OK, this is a fresco and not a canvas painting, but let's no split hairs!)

The Creation of Adam - Michelangelo (Same comment as above. Both are part of the Sistine Chapel ceiling. But most people consider them separate works.)

Luncheon of the Boating Party -  Pierre-Auguste Renoir

1865 portrait of Empress Elisabeth of Austria - Franz Xaver Winterhalter

working