jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you keep journals or memory books specifically for the purpose of handing the

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

Do you keep journals or memory books specifically for the purpose of handing them down when you die?

I started this ritual after the birth of my first son.  I got one of those large sketchbooks with the acid free archival paper and started writing in memories, notes, quotes to live by - the point being for him to have something of mine that was hand-written to keep with him for future generations to remember me by someday - like bits and pieces of my life (and what his has meant to me) etc.  Anyone do anything similar?

2. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 6 years ago

I have quite a few journals and they are stashed everywhere in the house, attic, etc. hoping one day people will "find" them and be curious enough to check them out. If not, I enjoyed writing in them as well as putting together scrapbook pages, that hopefully future generations will enjoy as well. I know the immediate generation will because most of the stuff is about them. lol!!!!

3. NatalieSack profile image60
    NatalieSackposted 6 years ago

I like the idea of that, but I use mine more to process difficult emotions.  If I thought someone might eventually read them it would temper what I put in there.  I would hold back, which would defeat the purpose for me.

4. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

I keep journals and always have. I want to remember what I was like once. But I know what you are talking about. I knew a gentleman who created an email account for his daughter when she was born. Each week he wrote her a new email for her to read when she was older. Her first step, her first word, her first kindergarden class, her first A, her 10th birthday, her responce to getting a new sister, etc.

5. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

Yes, but it started kinda by accident.  My sister and I were talking one day and one of us remembered something from our childhood.  We talked about it and laughed for a long time.  We decided that day that we would write some of these stories and give them to our chidren and grandchildren the next Christmas.  We worked really hard and the book was a big hit.  We had a lot of fun at that family gathering reading and talking about the stories and memories.  My nephew and his wife have decided to keep the tradition going....so we will see. 

The only thing is we didn't wait until some died .... except, of course, there were stories about family members already gone.

6. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

Let me clarify - there are personal journals and that is not what I'm talking about - I am talking about people keeping journals specifically designed or for the purpose of passing on - that you would tell people this is for you and I am leaving it for you. 

Personal journals are personal - I get that.  I am talking about other journals created for keepsakes. 

I love some of the ideas and such shared here - the story about the guy who does the emails for his daughter is awesome smile (hope he backs them up or prints them out though! smile ) The Christmas gift idea of sharing books of stories was great too - what a neat idea.

7. CRe8tiVeLiFe profile image69
    CRe8tiVeLiFeposted 4 years ago

Every year, on my sons' birthdays, I write about the previous year. I like to remind them of the highlights of the year, their achievements, funny moments, etc. I include birthday cards, photos, etc. I intend to give these books - which they do not know about - to them as wedding presents. My mother did the same for me and I will always treasure the way she captured the highs and lows of my childhood in this special book.

working