jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you avoid distractions for the sake of being productive? What motivates

1. Jakd profile image67
    Jakdposted 6 years ago

How do you avoid distractions for the sake of being productive?  What motivates you to do it?

I find myself getting easily distracted, especially when I'm by myself.  There are stories I'd like to write, art that needs arting, and housework that unfortunately should be done.  Whenever I have a task before my ability to focus goes out the window.  Anybody got some tips to get me out of this cycle and move forward?

2. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

Ditto. I dealt with this a lot in a past career as well. Very busy. Very fast paced. I was taught/learned that setting a specific amount of time to do certain things will help. Of course you must stay focused during and stick to those timeframes. If something is a priority and must be complete, rob time from the next timeframe that doesn't have urgent matters. Then tomorrow, increase that frame you robbed and shorten the other. My motivation is not neglecting any one thing I feel is important.

Worked pretty good for me...now what was I doing? :-)

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

this is an area where i struggle as well.  As much as I rebel against rigid structure, it does sometimes have it's place.  Make a schedule - this is when housework gets done, this is when I work, this is when I have free time, etc.  It helped me for sure.

4. delaneyworld profile image79
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

I am an incurable procrastinator.  That being said, I found one thing that helps to get me moving and to get my things done.  I tell myself, "I need to do what I have to do in order to do what I want to do."  When I tell myself this, somehow it spurs me on to complete my tasks and then spend time focusing on the more fun things to do. 

Also - every night I write in my journal and make a list of my goals for the next day.  I rarely complete them all, but writing them down and making an intention in my head to do them tends to help. 

You are definitely not alone!  Take care!

5. Leenie Pooh profile image57
    Leenie Poohposted 6 years ago

I actually find it a lot easier to concentrate when I'm in an environment such as a coffee shop with people talking and music playing than when I'm at home and it's quiet. Of course it depends on what type of project I'm working on but I found this out by experimenting. Try several different environments until you find what works for you. Some suggestions:

* a park
    * the beach
    * a quiet wooded area
    * your backyard
    * your front porch
    * stay in bed
    * coffee shop
    * bench in a busy mall
    * hotel lobby - you can find both quiet and busy areas

Background noise becomes white noise for me.

6. profile image0
    Amanda Beck Mauckposted 6 years ago

you might have ADD ( I do )... or you might just
    be a really good procrastinator ( I am ) ... I set aside a special place to make art. But to get in the art mood I start looking at art online or in my books, or i start talking about it...you know to get in the mind set. Then I start getting excited and I go to work. the same thing applies when I write. I read about writing or talk about it and It starts the gears to turning, you know?

working