jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

What site(s) do you primarily use to find photos for your online content?

1. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image87
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 4 years ago

What site(s) do you primarily use to find photos for your online content?

I almost exclusively use Wikimedia Commons. However, I write on a lot of old historical subjects, so I am almost always using public domain pictures. Wikimedia does have a lot of more modern files that can be used under the Creative Commons license, but I imagine there are some other sites that are preferred for this sort of thing.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

There are several, but you can search for public domain photos on the Library of Congress website-- or search public domain clipart.

3. Marian Designs profile image79
    Marian Designsposted 4 years ago

Karen's Whimsey has a site that shares images in the public domain: http://karenswhimsy.com/public-domain-images/

4. SoundNFury profile image82
    SoundNFuryposted 4 years ago

I use Wikimedia Commons a lot as well.  But I also use www.freedigitalphotos.net - they are free as long as you attribute the source.  They have a pretty good selection of generic photos.

5. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 4 years ago

Oh thank you for the information actually, I only use google and never heard of these other sites.

Thank you

1. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Google images are not necessarily free. Copyright laws apply to many of them.

6. Twilight Lawns profile image82
    Twilight Lawnsposted 4 years ago

Here, there and everywhere.
    I am outrageously dishonest and use photographs from virtually anywhere that isn't overtly labelled as being copyright and being the sole property of some other person.
    I have the morals and conscience of a fin de siècle lady of the Paris Demi-Monde when it comes to such.
    But mitigating circumstances:  I was wandering through the internet some time ago, and found a series of my own personal (as in family, mother, father, homes, servants etc., pictures relating to then and myself in India) and someone had published them as his own, and then had the nerve to “copyright” them under his own name.  These photographs had been hijacked in their entirety from my site.
    Do I hear you cry, “Two wrongs don’t make a right.”?  They do in my philosophy.
    So nothing is sacred - Well it isn’t while human beings, the likes of me, are around.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image82
      Twilight Lawnsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I cried, "Mea culpa! Mea culpa! Mea culpa!"; resolving to turn over a new leaf, but having looked at the suggestions here (with the exception of Marian Designs's: http://karenswhimsy.com/public-domain-images/) I'll continue to tread the primrose path

7. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

I use morguefile.com and love it. If I need a public figure, then it's Wikimedia Commons.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I've been frequenting istockphoto.com for many years now. They offer a free stock photo every week and I've built up quite the collection. If I had to guess, I would say I have more than 200 stock photos to choose from every time I write a new hub. There isn't always a good fit, but it's nice to have them.