jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Homemade Soap Making Disaster

1. LopezUnleashed profile image84
    LopezUnleashedposted 4 years ago

Homemade Soap Making Disaster

Second time making my soap and I switched my pot to a bigger one because I was making a full batch this time.  Got my lye reduced down to the correct temp, had my fats at the correct temp in relation to the lye solution.  Combined and kept it at a steady temp and brought it to trace.  Turned off the heat to keep it from climbing too high and my soap came to a full ROLLING boil all by itself and STAYED there!!  My soap has now boiled itself away!!  I had over 90 oz of soap in that pot and it is ALL GONE!!!  WHAT the Heck did I do???????

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

try doing hot process in the crockpot - I did a hub on it. It's the same kind of soap, but a bit more forgiving than cold process or hot process on the stove. If it came to a boil, something was too hot - it shouldn't have boiled.  Your lye solution should probably have been left to cool longer or your heat was too high when you put your solution in with your fats. Sorry about that - I know it's discouraging when batches get messed up.

1. LopezUnleashed profile image84
      LopezUnleashedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I'll check out your Hub. I've heard of doing it in a crock pot before.
      I think there was something wrong with my pot. The soap ate a hole in the bottom of it & now I have a big mess to clean under there.

2. ChristinS profile image95
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

yes, if you do it on the stove you always have to use stainless steel or enamel pots.  Never use an aluminum or other type pot.

3. lostohanababy profile image59
    lostohanababyposted 3 years ago

Its possible your heat was to high for too long.  And when you are making crafts over a flame of a electric stove, you must watch over it, at all times during its process.   To be good at making soap or any other made product you enjoy making.  Try again.  Recall the mistakes, try not to repeat what made your soap batch, evaporate.   I like rose, orchid, and lemon.  Been too chicken to do too many.  Because I don't want to waste product if I can help it.  It comes in handy knowing how to make a few things in the old traditional ways..a way of personal or community survival when needed!

working