Banned Art: Politically Correct or Awful?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (26 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image69
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

I don't know much about art - but I know what I like.

Just because somebody's art is butt ugly but is trying to say something - should it be banned?

How about this from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ma … -apartheid

This art is already destroyed but the guy is  still being sued because

"Zuma,a Zulu polygamist who has married six times, has four current wives and 21 children &  once stood trial for and was acquitted of rape said: "The portrait depicts me in a manner that suggests I am a philanderer, a womanizer and one with no respect."

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6656215.jpg

OK But how about offensive art that may include the homemade diorama on the front lawn with Jesus shooting Santa - is that OK?

http://voices.yahoo.com/images-jesus-mo … 84826.html

"Considered subversive, dangerous and designed to shock - scandalous depictions of religious icons meant to provoke a visceral reaction from viewers - should they ever be exhibited?"

This was also destroyed:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6656223_f248.jpg

Ugh, Russian Art is an oxymoron, like Russian Humor......

1. oceansnsunsets profile image81
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am a lover of art, and would hate to see any banned.  There is some especially distasteful art, and I think those kinds speak to the mind and heart of the artist.  In other words, if its truly gross and nasty, then that artist made some art that is, well fill in the blank.  If that is what they want to do with their lives, I suppose there could be worse things!

Many have heard of the art that was in a jar of urine, or something like that.  I don't think that is art, and it speaks of the person that did that.  (Part of their legacy, is that what they wanted?)  Anyway, its fine, and people can gawk and jeer, etc.  It would be wrong however, to force it to be up in front of say a Catholic Church, meant to cause ongoing harm to its members, as I think the item in the jar was a crucifix?

So while I don't understand or like that "art", the artist and his or her fans, get what comes with that kind of thing, which seems to include trying to upset people.  Also, instead of trying to produce beautiful or respectable art, they want to do something particularly provocative.  With no redeeming value that I can see.  (I am not a Catholic, btw.)  If they disagree with Catholics for example, that "art" would not be a way to open up meaningful dialogue, or to get them to possibly rethink some erroneous views, etc.  Its intent is to shock and harm.  I think it does more harm to that person that did that.  So that was the example my mind went to.

2. Haunty profile image71
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

Art that conveys the truth is certainly not awful.

ptosisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the awful truth can be shown in art when nobody wants to read about it.

3. springfox profile image59
    springfoxposted 12 years ago

It is so funny, this thing called art.  A thousand people sees the same exhibit and they come away with a thousand different interpretations.  In the last picture.  I see a little boy dressed in a Mikey Mouse costume strolling his father one side and Jesus on the other.  Is that so bad?  If we want to find something offensive, we will find it.

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really, I see Mickey Mouse, center stage, holding the hands of Lenin and Jesus.  This piece is loaded with symbolism. I can't imagine why anyone would want to destroy it. As for the other, well I believe the picture speaks for itself.

1. springfox profile image59
        springfoxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How about me seeing it as the portrayal of 'A little child shall lead them?"

I made a mistake  - only paintings were destroyed and not the sculpture (which woud be a lot harder to do) ----

One would assume that Disney would want it  destroyed it because of the rabid copyright infringement enforcement.

Russian Artists Convicted of Inciting Religious Enmity
          http://www.slaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/lenin.jpg

"A statue of Mickey Mouse Jesus and Vladimer Lenin angered Orthodox Russians and resulted in not only censorship but a possible sentence of up to three years in prison. The two curators Yuri Samodurov and Andrei Erofeev were fined $6,500 dollars or 200,000 rubles and did not get incarcerated..... The forbidden art exhibition in 2007 at the Sakharov Museum in Russia was, "closed a few days after it opened after a group of altar boys defaced many of the contemporary paintings."  - http://voices.yahoo.com/images-jesus-mo … 84826.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F5C4MFZmRts/TELdqmLZsuI/AAAAAAAABI4/XH9jmlvzugw/s1600/mickey+mouse+christ.jpg

Now - it seems that in the free world it's easy to pick on Jesus - but it I were to put up a picture of Muhammad  - well I would have a death fatwa on my head and a roar against Hubpages for allowing me to post.

So I won't - Just give you the link
          http://zombietime.com/mohammed_image_ar … _cartoons/

I like the one that says "Stop! We have run out of virgins!"

The virgin thing is interesting because it was based on a historical fact -  that at one time men were kidnapped, drugged and place on a paradise  estate  (thinking that they died and gone to Heaven), they were then taken back and were told to sacrifice themselves in order to return.

Check out about the Eagle's Nest @ http://www.damninteresting.com/fortress … assassins/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wVjN0NBuR-0/Tb6-alFeK2I/AAAAAAAACT4/CyCrWVAiWgc/s1600/72virgins.jpeg

4. psycheskinner profile image76
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The art is making a point, IMHO a valid one.

5. profile image58
    topwebdesignerposted 12 years ago

Certainly vision is important, you are looking something from which angle, the way you are going to decide intake.

1. Brandon Tart profile image59
      Brandon Tartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

everything visual has a narrative, and theoretically, the visual and the linguistic overlap.  On the matter of banning a work, there is an evident line between what is offensive and what is making a real, legitimate and valid point.  It is called "conceptual art," and it works!  It deals with social issues and political issues, which are really only two sides of the same coin.  But regarding what is aesthetically pleasing, there does not need to be a "beautiful" image to arouse ones senses to the degree that they have what is coined as an "Esthetic Experience."  I dropped the "a" to come to my next  point.  Some art theorists use the "a" this way ... a-esthetics ... to denote that something is "NOT" esthetically pleasing, nor does it carry any conceptual merit that handles socio-polital-economic etc. issues intellectually.

Brandon H. Tart.  BFA in Sculpture.  <link snipped - no promotional links>

My goals are to do both, however, if I want to make a political statement I am more inclined to write a book, paper etc. before I go to the extent that many "artists" do to deliver their message in a "shock-fashion."  I also think the way we think, speak, live, and love is a form of social esthetics, so it gives credence to the idea of beauty and esthetics, the need of it, and the benefit of it.

Some "artists" give Artists a bad name because of how they portray the community.  In reality, I think some artists need to go back to school, or just stop it with all of their "art" making.

6. LensMan999 profile image61
    LensMan999posted 12 years ago

Banning a piece of art or work has an evident line between what is offensive and what is making a real, legitimate valid point.
    Art which speaks about the truth is not awful. Conceptual art is something which works and which deal with social issues and political issues, which are really only 2 sides of a coin.

7. Shaddie profile image73
    Shaddieposted 12 years ago

Art is art and it should be freely expressed to anyone who wants to experience it. If you find it offensive, don't recommend it to your mom. But what is this obsession with "banning" everything we disagree with?

8. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

I had a pic banned by TeamHubPages of a hot babe wearing a Steelers terrible towel like a miniskirt. The only thing showing was her belly button.

Talk about censors gone wild.

The only Art I know anything about is Modell, and he's dead.

But I must say, I find what's posted on this thread extremely offensive, and everybody who posted should be banned.

That would include yourself - yes?
      http://us.cdn4.123rf.com/168nwm/scrappinstac/scrappinstac0606/scrappinstac060600033/437002-young-boy-with-smirk-on-his-closeup-face.jpg

9. Tusitala Tom profile image68
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

When the Nazis instructed their followers to have people burn certain books which weren't in favour, I guess you could call that being 'politically correct' as far as the Nazis were concerned.  Those words "politically correct" have certainly changed in meaning since those days.   Now we can offend just about anyone with any label.

When I was a child, little girls often had a rag doll that was commonly called a 'Gollywog.'  Imagine how that would go over now!   And a well known Australian Bush fern was known as a 'Nigger Boy."  Crikey! wouldn't that raise the roof.   Yet neither term was meant to be derogatory by those using them.   Sure they are policially incorrect by today's standards.   But it must be remembered: 'intention' is what counts.   If we are offended by a label the trouble lies in our mind, not in the word or words that triggered our response.

The change to 'not being offended' must come from us, not from those outside of us.  We're responsible for our REACTIONS and well as our actions.

10. ptosis profile image69
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

Yes we can control reaction to a degree. People do offensive on purpose to get a reaction. Such as Pussy Riot ( they got 2 years in jail)

or Biden's ham it up laughter on the veep debate " to signal incredulity. His none too subtle message: Paul Ryan's arguments are a joke, and he is laughably callow. " - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19930343

I had an ex that I had a restraining order against to quit bothering me.  One time at the park he came out of the bathroom wildly making  the door slam open in order to frighten me but as soon as I saw who it was, I rolled my eyes and made a disgusted expression on my face.  He was trying his darnest to communicate with me even though any communication would land him back in jail.the last time earned him 90 days after repeated contacts.

http://us.cdn4.123rf.com/168nwm/imagesource/imagesource1108/imagesource110800933/10116554-a-man-scaring-another-man.jpg

11. clevercatsup profile image62
    clevercatsupposted 11 years ago

Art can be meant to piss people off. When people get pissed off, something, somewhere, somehow changes. If the world didn't change, if it stayed static, that would go against the law of physics.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7283131_f248.jpg

12. daisydayz profile image83
    daisydayzposted 11 years ago

I don't think anyone should be able to censor art, and the distruction of anothers property, no matter what it is should be illegal. Art is a freedome of speech a personal expression, we souldn't be able to sensor it just becuase we dissagree - it would never end otherwise! If it is offensive to some then just dont go look at it. Its as easy as that. Art, or what is seen as art will always be subjective, no matter what happens. It is like literature, if a book is seen as offensive then chose not to read it, it does not mean it should be distroyed. Think how many books we would now be without if people had distroyed every offensive book of the past - something offensive could be found in so many books!

I like the comment that some gave above about it being ok that Jesus is mocked or used for humor but if it was Mohammad then it would be an entirely different matter.

The Jesus, Mickey and Lenin statue, might give some bad connotations - but if you look a the skill and workmanship that actually went into it, it really is a brilliant work of art.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image84
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Am I the only one who found the Lenin/Mickey/Jesus statue hilarious? All they need to do is add Ronald McDonald to make it a "Fantastic Four"

ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just don't Russian humor, it more like WTF?

2. Jen Card profile image61
      Jen Cardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My only comment is...wonderful thread!  Awesome topic and replies!

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting thread.
        Been G-rated for 40 years. Have been working on non g rated artwork for the last four years. Not sure how to test the waters or to just jump in.

14. psycheskinner profile image76
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Art and free speech have that in common. 
    You don't have to agree with or like what people do with it to support it.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thinks it's safe to show most them, at first.

15. DRG Da Real Grinc profile image70
    DRG Da Real Grincposted 9 years ago

The great Fransisco Goya idolized Rembrandt who share similar dark moments in their lives which affected their art. Back in their times only if you were well known can you throw humor and religion together on a canvas or print. If not then you were hung. One should never be subdued to any blockade of expression. Nonetheless a parody form of art which should succumb to less mutiny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)