jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What "lost" arts or crafts should make a comeback?

1. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

What "lost" arts or crafts should make a comeback?

I remember my mother doing a lot of macrame when I was young and I always thought it looked neat.  The other day I was on Pinterest and saw several paper quilling projects that were posted.  That was definitely something I hadn't seen in ages.  I also love watching the women at the historical days do the lace by hand.  What "lost" arts do you enjoy most?

2. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 3 years ago

I remember doing macrame! I loved it. I think many of the handmade bracelets of today use the same knots.
    I also loved basket weaving. That's a useful craft there. Native Americans use different patterns for different tribes and it is a way to incorporate their stories into useful objects around the home.
    I also currently make dream catchers. I love doing these! I have a few customers on Etsy that even re-order more for their friends and family.
    Candlemaking seems to go in and out of style. Some people really love it.

ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

basket weaving is neat for sure.  Making your own dream catchers sounds incredibly fun.

3. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image98
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago

I've always been interested in taking up weaving and, while it is still done, I don't see it as often as I used to.  On a side note, if you are interested in quilling, check out Lady Rain's hubs.  They are amazing.

My mom does this smile she weaves, spins, cards her own wool - she loves any fiber art.  It's fun to watch them do it. She has a huge loom that takes longer to thread than it does to do the project lol.

4. craftybegonia profile image75
    craftybegoniaposted 3 years ago

Human artistic skills come in many forms. I have been glad to see recently a "comeback" of Tenerife Lace and also card weaving, But there are so many others which are not necessarily completely forgotten but have simply fallen into forgetfulness and need to be revived to popularity again.

Definitely a lot of things go in and out of style. Tenerife lace looks interesting. I hadn't seen it before.

5. hellenmiano profile image61
    hellenmianoposted 3 years ago

Mosaic and collage art pieces have been forgotten they should be brought back..

I love mosaic art. I've seen a bit of that coming back, but usually in mixed media pieces, not strictly mosaic. It's lovely for sure. I do collage regularly.

working