jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Did you ever "work" a festival...was it a good or bad experience?

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image93
    Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years ago

Did you ever "work" a festival...was it a good or bad experience?

I've done wine festivals...gun shows...and, flea markets... My best times were doing bluegrass festivals...doing a setup and then selling related merchandise...  Did you ever do a festival?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

For a year or two in the mid 90s, one of my friends played drums for a rock band that did a couple of small time "festivals" with a bunch of other local acts. Whenever they did one of those shows, they'd bring me along as their "roadie"... which meant I had to carry their amps & equipment around and then while they were onstage it was my job to flip the switch on their smoke machine during certain songs. Not a bad gig, especially since we often had lots of time to kill before they went onstage and my "crew pass" usually gave me the right to drink for free till it was time for them to start setting up!! big_smile

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image93
      Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sounds familiar...I worked with the Claire Lynch band, CCR, and several others...yes...the "benefits" were always well worth the hard work.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
      FatFreddysCatposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Cool! My friend's band never got past the demo-tape stage, but at least my name is in the "thanks" list in that demo tape. smile

3. Seafarer Mama profile image89
    Seafarer Mamaposted 3 years ago

Once, while we still lived in Boston, my husband and I sold cards and prints with my husband's photography at a folk festival. We set up a tent and did pretty well. At the end, of the festival our daughter, who was 3 at the time, grabbed some of our business cards and started to pass them out to festival guests as they passed our tent. Quite the little networker!

working