jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Ever had a bad experience moving to a new place?

1. amsmoving profile image57
    amsmovingposted 7 years ago

Ever had a bad experience moving to a new place?

2. Bikash jha profile image56
    Bikash jhaposted 7 years ago

i always have trouble fitting in new place. last time when i moved to kathmandu, three years ago from local village of nepal,
    i have no idea that this place has this much shortage of water as we always have enjoyed easy drinking water back home, i have to store water or carry water from well and have to use water purifier, has problem in regular bath,
    i have never valued drinking water issue back in my birthplace.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

yes, when my family moved to Mesa, Arizona in 1970.It was a tremendous culture shock for New Yorkers to move to a place across the country so different than what we were used to.
    we eventually moved back after 7 months...never again..

4. amsmoving profile image57
    amsmovingposted 7 years ago

@ Stacie L - I imagine that would be hard. I've lived in both places (well, Western Connecticut technically) and they are night and day from each other.

Of course I guess you trade out harsh winters for brutal summers. I grew up in Texas so it wasn't such a shocker.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Not so much a bad experience as one of disappointment.   In 1971 I moved with my family from Sydney, Australia, to Auckland, New Zealand.   The first thing  that struck me was the country lagged behind Australia by a good ten to fifteen years.  I recall mentioning to an prospective employer that people in Australia (in my field, radio telecommunications) were beginning to use Ferranti computers.   
    "What's that?"  From an electrical engineer.
    "Well, you can type and watch what you're typing coming up on the screen in front of you."
    "Bull shit!   How can that happen..."
    I rest my case on being behind the times.

The other thing which disappointed was the weather.   I was used to Aussie summers.  The hottest day we had in the best part of three years was 25 degrees Celcius.   I used to love going to the beach to swim.   Not much chance of that in NZ.

Also, income tax was extremely high, the harder you worked, the more you payed.   

But I guess the clincher was the feeling of being "at the end of the world" and right out of what was going on.   The Kiwis (New Zealanders) seemed to have a big inferiority complex.  Great people, but eventually I knew I had to come back to Australia, if only to know that here I had three million square miles of land mass, with the freedom to travel anywhere in it, rather than the smaller area of N.Z.    It's a beautiful country, but lack the versatility of Australia.

6. GGtimeshares profile image59
    GGtimesharesposted 7 years ago

The only struggle when you move to a new place is the environment and the culture of the people. You have to adjust.

7. Tanzzee profile image59
    Tanzzeeposted 7 years ago

Our bad experience was many years ago when we moved from the UK to Southern California. Before the move we employed an internationally experienced removal company to pack all our family's personal items, china, pictures, ornaments, excess clothing  etc., crate them and ship them to us by sea.

Two months later we were informed that the crate had arrived in Long Beach. We drove down to collect our crate only to find that it had already been opened by the US customs and rifled by goodness knows who. Three quarters of our personal stuff was missing and other items were damaged. It was a complete disaster.