jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)

What's the finest piece of artwork, literature or otherwise,ever made?

1. Johnathan L Groom profile image50
    Johnathan L Groomposted 6 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5288473_f248.jpg
    Picasso's pencil drawings are a ranking thought.  War and Peace is another.  Maybe DaVinci's sculptures, or the Sistine Chapel, or Michaelangelo's statues...?

2. recommend1 profile image65
    recommend1posted 6 years ago

To be able to even think that there is only one 'top' piece of work requires a very narrow 'width' of understanding.  Every different piece of quality work has its own special 'thing' that makes it a quality piece of work.

The current fashion for finding the best of, or the top, is a societal sign of closing minds.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Stop it, Panda! You know very well that I am the finest piece of artwork that has ever been made! yikes

1. recommend1 profile image65
        recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

You know very well that being a 'piece of work' is nothing to do with art big_smile
        However, an object of beauty is not necessarily an art object until you move !

2. Johnathan L Groom profile image50
      Johnathan L Groomposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Okay, this is freakin' awesome lol!!! Those are the most creative answers I think I've heard in response to any question I've asked!!! lol Keep going- you may cause spontaneous combustion of my brain (which was, formerly and previously, responsible for asking the silly question in the first place!)  Thanks guys lol!!!!!  Thank you!
      -johnathan-

p.s.  the finest work of art is mother earth smile

1. WriteAngled profile image92
        WriteAngledposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In reply to this, another unforgettable "moment" was walking through Artists' Wood near Betws-y-Coed in North Wales on a drizzly day when no one else was around. Suddenly, a wood anemone caught my attention, and I found it contained the whole Universe...

and no, I had not been hunting magic mushrooms or indulging in any other forbidden substances earlier smile

A special moment in North Wales !!  - boyo, you must be awesomely imaginative LOL  The idea of living there is my personal idea of hell  sad

I am not Welsh, but moved to Treorci in the Rhondda three years ago. Wales has adopted me and for the first time in my life I find myself at home. I feel deep emotion to the land and the more I immerse myself in its language and culture, the richer I become. My only regret is that I did not move to a region in mid- or north Wales, where Welsh is more used on a daily basis. I know it rains a lot here; it is difficult to become accepted by locals; the economy has been suffocated by England. Nevertheless, I would not choose to live anywhere else now.

I am happy for you that you have found a home smile

In my case I found Wales to be stifling and more backward than most third world countries, most foreigners learning Welsh were there to take advantage of the more lax Civil Service rules for Welsh speakers that means that they were more incompetent than usual - and the bl@@dy rain !

I do agree that they have been almost totally crushed out of existence by England - and that the current state of the people is due mostly to that.  On a personal level I found the Welsh to be either lovely straight forward upstanding indiviuals, or totally shameless backstabbing bast@ards big_smile

I like Mr. Panda...

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I believe there are many great artists - why, some of them are right here on HubPages.

4. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

One definition I would use of great art is that it speaks directly to the soul, causing a shift in perception that may last a moment or a lifetime.

The type of work that will do this will vary from person to person. For me, this happens mostly with music. One very powerful personal example, (powerful because it was one of the earliest of such experiences in my life, occurring more than 40 years ago when I was 15, but never forgotten):

Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, in particular, the moment in the Credo when the soprano soloist starts the "et incarnatus est...", and a solo flute makes its entry.

5. Johnathan L Groom profile image50

Are you single lol?  Well-put and excellent answer!!!  I like this thread so far...
    -johnathan-

I am single now. The man I loved deeply found himself unable to cope with several life traumas and decided to drink himself to death shortly after we were finally able to set up home together. He died last June after putting me through 2.5 years of hell.

oh that's terrible!  sorry... well, if u're ever nearby, let me know- dinner on me smile
        -johnathan-

6. Johnathan L Groom profile image50

*maybe the mushrooms were in your pocket lol-  it's funny how nature is art in itself!
    -johnathan-

7. Johnathan L Groom profile image50

I was born in Lakenheath, but have live in the U.S. since I was a child

8. Johnathan L Groom profile image50

*lived, sorry

9. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Da Vinci sculptures?
    I don't know of any, though he did work of a couple of horses that were never completed.
    Someone in the last few years did complete one from his design.
    What are the others?

working