jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)

How can I get you to read my *&(@#$ eBook?! It's so good man...

1. Johnathan L Groom profile image50
    Johnathan L Groomposted 6 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5314412_f248.jpg
    Really!!!The problem is, I have already published like an original, one-of-a-kind, pulitzer prize worthy (no exaggeration) eBook, and the play I'm getting is tedious-  what I am asking is, how did I make something this wonderful and it's being missed! ahhhhhhhhhh! it really is exclusive!... how do i get more readers interested?  i use a lot of facebook for ghetto publicity, and I've sold a couple through it.- Wow.-  I spend like a half/year writing it, and that is all.....

2. BakerRambles profile image82
    BakerRamblesposted 6 years ago via iphone

If you truly want to gain publicity, you may want to publish a subdomain, or if you'd like, try to create a fan base by reaching conventions in your area and forums online.  Hope this helps.

Johnathan L Groomposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.
      -johnathan-

3. vietnamvet68 profile image61
    vietnamvet68posted 6 years ago

Have you tried making a book trailer? Place it on youtube and this may generate some interest in it

4. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

You might try writing in standard English and not saying things that seem egotistical at best and possibly delusional.

5. Johnathan L Groom profile image50

read it for being a JUDGE lol smile    ...johnathan!

6. basaltbezel profile image73
    basaltbezelposted 6 years ago

Writers and artists rarely gain fame in their own lifetime.

1. basaltbezel profile image73
      basaltbezelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

By the way, getting a professional to redesign the cover so it doesn't look like it was created by a ten year old in paint may help.

1. sunforged profile image69
        sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"The Curb and I: The Art of the Homeless"

I see how the cover art could reflect the title. Perhaps the target audience would see humor or authenticity in the cover art.

7. 2uesday profile image84
    2uesdayposted 6 years ago

You could always try a bit of self-promotion smile smile

Maybe try a local book reading or a try to get a mention on local radio stations.

8. Lissie profile image84
    Lissieposted 6 years ago

Hmmm let me count the ways:

a) you could write a book in proper English - not the illiterate text speak in your sample
    b) you could put a description on the Amazon page so people actually knew what the book was about and were maybe impressed enough to try it - (Though the download sample would probably dissuade them from proceeding)
    c) you could upload an author page so the interested knew something about you
    d) you could write a book longer than a few thousand words - I can tell from the brevity of the download is shorter than some of my hubs
    e) you could start a blog and connect the RSS feed to the author page on amazon I mentioned above
    f) you could use a proper author name - instead of one that sounds like a mistake - maybe you confused the publisher and the author?
    g) you could categorise it correctly - I don't think its anything to do with architecture - maybe its fiction or memoir?

But most of all you could write a book worth my time to read

oh and its over priced at $3.99

Just my 2C

1. psycheskinner profile image79
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

+1

maybe... at least an original idea

2. Johnathan L Groom profile image50

it's a re-written journal, and it's verygood- thank you for your feedback.  pricing it at $3.99 (reduced, lol) seemed fair because it was originally $23.99 hardcover smile
      -thank you-
      -johnathan-

9. chanroth profile image60
    chanrothposted 6 years ago

I have 8 poetry book being published...written by me..and only 4 people bought it. your not alone. A lot of good stuff, people missed out.

another truth-
      -johnathan-

2. agaglia profile image83
      agagliaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

OH Chanroth,  where is your poetry book. I would be interested in seeing it.
      I wrote a children's book and it is available on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com and at my website: <snipped link - do not self-promote in the forums>.  I have sold quite a few books and continually market it around town, in and out of state.

10. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 6 years ago

Dude.... I think you have to die first; then you will be discovered... that's the lament of the poet...

I agree there

2. agaglia profile image83
      agagliaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL.  Is that really true? Don't you have to acutally write something fabulous?

11. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

It doesn't strike me as deliberately humorous, just like a slap-dash job. But that impression may be partly biased by seeing how the author approached everything else do do with creating and selling his book.

1. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

deliberate isnt always necessary

1. psycheskinner profile image79
        psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I could also have said 'effective'. I think know what you are doing, and doing it on purpose does help if you are trying to make money from ebooks. Unless the goal is to look like a buffoon and charge people to laugh at you--in which case he is half way there.

If selling a few thousand words of freestyle text, with a cover that seems to have been bodged together in MSPaint, for almost $4 was effective... well, I doubt OP would have two threads on this forum complaining about at lack sales.

But what would I know? I am not a self-proclaimed genius who thinks he deserves a Pulitzer.

relax
          -johnathan-  (i make music too! lol)

12. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

The sample reads much like a Jim Carroll book.

Im ok with a "gritty" cover and an unconventional writing style. I dont think I could be convinced to buy it as a standalone work from the merits of the sample alone.

But, as a bigger package - perhaps double the price and donate half to homeless shelters

write a description that would attract (IMO) the limited market of people who would be interested. Somehow embrace and highlight that its "slap-dash" outsider, gritty, "authentic" in your marketing efforts.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkur2epZ … re=related  You might know Jim Carroll unwittingly via the movie "The Basketball Diaries"

awesome- and one of my favorites w/ leonardo.... greatfilm- yes, he was a badwriter, but a greatone because of it-  cool insight!!!
      -johnathan-
      I am trying lol  smile

13. Johnathan L Groom profile image50

This is actually an experimental book (or, I guess, argueably so) that is a one-of-a-kind and never thought of before.  In other words, it's worth like 5,000,000 dollars for its concept alone, has one a U.K. award, and has its writer guest-starring on Conan O'Brien in about a month.  So yeah, $3.99 isn't that bad.  Psycheskinner, I need you to relax a bit.  I'm talking a massage chair, a glass of wine, and a steak or somethin' because it's, well...lol, just a book.
    -johnathan-

*won*

working