jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are the best ways to conserve and save on gasoline?

1. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

What are the best ways to conserve and save on gasoline?

2. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

You can drive without air conditioning. The gas in my car now goes twice as long and I've lost two pounds from the heat.

1. Cobrafan profile image78
      Cobrafanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

According to a Mythbusters test, driving with the AC running is more fuel efficient than with the windows down. But deleting the AC system like you did is a nice way to save weight. I know a lot of drag racers who do that.

3. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

I lived in Honolulu for a very long time...I walked everywhere I could..within two miles of where I lived..I drove only when it was absolutely necessary. Sometimes I took the bus. I do the same now.
    I think, removing all the unnecessary things from your car would help, as well as staying within the speed limit...

4. profile image51
    aattposted 5 years ago

the best thing to do to save on gas is to make sure your air pressure in your tyres are correct. it depends on your tyres and car. but if your tyres are ment to have 32 psi, you should be running about 40 psi. it is very safe to put 20 percent more air pressure in your tyre. that will save you alot.
    the next best tip to save on gas is to drive ahead of your self, so look at the traffic well ahead of you and slow your car down enough for the traffic conditions. if you slow down and stop it takes alot of energy to get your car back to speed. and drive your car slowly and smooth.
    if you drive on the highway go 10 percent slower and you will save alot of gas and it will only take a couple of extra minutes to get there.
    in most cars the ideal speed is 50mph or 80 kph. this speed will be the most effecient your car will be. this is like the old question why don't airplanes brake down in the air alot. air planes run at about 60% of full power for them to be effecient and safe, the 50mph in your car is on the same principil.
    i hope this helps

5. Cobrafan profile image78
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

Here are my suggestions:

-Keep your tire pressure up. Most tires are rated to a maximum of 40PSI. For every 10* the air temp rises, your tires will increase 1PSI. Figure out the highest temp your area hits on average, then figure out the current temp when you fill your tires vs that highest temp. Here in Missouri around 70* air temp I fill my tires to 37PSI. At 100*F air temp, my tires will be right around 40PSI.

-Change your spark plugs on schedule. Copper plugs need to be changed every 15k miles or so. Iridiums, platinums, etc all have higher change rates but don't work as well in some engines.

- Change your fuel filter every 50k miles.

-Add a good fuel system cleaner (SeaFoam is one of the best and a bottle should be good for 2 fill ups) every few fill ups. At least once a month is a good idea.

-Change your oil on schedule. Every 3 month or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. Some synthetic oils say you can run them for 5k-7k miles but I still recommend oil changes as close to 3k/3 months as possible.

-If you drive an automatic, use the overdrive gear if one is available. This will allow you to enter a "cruise" gear when you reach the appropriate speed (generally on the highway). There's very little power but enough to keep you moving at highway speeds.

-Avoid stop and go traffic. If you can find a route that isn't going to go way out of your way but takes highways most of the way, go that way. Don't speed either. If you can maintain 55-65mph, you'll get your optimum fuel mileage.

working