jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does nitrogen used in tires in place of air really save gas?

1. doodlebugs profile image84
    doodlebugsposted 5 years ago

Does nitrogen used in tires in place of air really save gas?

I have heard nitrogen tire fills advertised as a means of saving gas. Is this a gimmick, or does using nitrogen instead of air in your tires increase MPG?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Filling tyres with nitrogen certainly doesn't save nitrogen gas, but it saves compressed air.

3. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 5 years ago

Hi doodlebugs,
    this reminds me of the fuel line magnets from 20 odd years ago. These were clipped over fuel lines to align molecules and give better gas mileage. You would probably need a micron microscope to see any advantage.

Normal compressed air contains moisture and while this is undesirable in aviation and Formula 1 Race Cars it causes no noticeable difference in ordinary road going cars.

As to any measurable increase in MPG, I'd say "pie in the sky",

MJ.

4. Cobrafan profile image78
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

Nitrogen keeps your tires at a more consistent pressure than air (the air pressure in your tires increases or decreases ~1psi for every 10* change in air temperature). The difference is minute, but it's there. If a shop offers to fill up a new set of tires with nitrogen at no charge, take it. Otherwise I personally wouldn't pay to fill up with nitrogen.

working