I want to train to become a Legal Secretary
How Do I Become A Legal Secretary?
Many people find the idea of becoming a Legal Secretary very appealing and here are some of the reasons:
· The Legal Industry offers a wide range of interesting legal specialities. You could find a firm or department that specialised in Criminal Litigation, Family Law or much more.
· You can even work extensively with the Courts and get direct exposure to legal processes.
· Some legal specialities, such as Commercial Law, Corporate Law and Private Clients can offer excellent pay packages.
· Many of London’s most prestigious employers are top law firms.
So, Legal jobs are popular because they offer challenging and thought-provoking roles and the opportunity to earn a good salary.
If this is interesting, you may find yourself asking how do I become a Legal Secretary?
There is no set answer to this question, I have met Legal Secretaries with a diverse range of educational background and work experience.
1. Take a Legal Secretarial Course or Legal Secretary Diploma: There are many providers in London of these qualifications.
2. The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives are the most long-standing accreditors of any qualifications, established in 1892. Their Legal Secretarial Qualification, ILEX Course (now CILEX) is internationally recognised.
3. There are also numerous Law Graduates and other legal professionals who find jobs are Legal Secretaries.
Experienced Secretaries and PAs use transferrable skills
People who have worked as Secretaries, PAs or Administrators have a good set of transferrable skills. This is because a lot of administrative and secretarial skills are required by legal secretaries.
Nevertheless, you may find that the qualifications listed above will help you make a transition into the legal industry.
The reality of being a Legal Secretary
Being a Legal Secretary varies greatly depending on the type of law that you work in and the nature of your legal firm.
A Commercial Litigation firm will need Legal Secretaries to be able to accurately type and prepare legal documents of various types. The diarising of the legal procedures that are carried out in a Commercial Litigation firm will be extremely important. You are likely to have to work to a tight deadline and you also may need interpersonal skills, if you face any clients.
A Criminal Litigation Law Firm may require you prepare trial bundles, which will involve a good typing speed. You may also do a fair amount of Audio Typing in your daily routine.
However, each area will have their own requirements.
- Legal Secretary Courses -
Accredited and well recognised Legal Secretary Courses in London. All of the training courses are delivered by qualified lawyers in live classroom sessions.
- Working as a Personal Assistant or Executive Assistant
The role of an Executive Assistant can vary greatly. Here is a breakdown of the role.
- An Explanation of the role of the minute taker for a...
Covering the vital role of the minute taker in a meeting, delivering a clear explanation of this function. A good basic undertsanding of minute taking for someone new to the role.
- What entails Bookkeeping
Bookkeepers maintain the data in financial systems and they help to deliver financial reports. Here is an overview of this career.
- A Guide to Human Resources for Executive Assistants
Executive Assistants are responsible for the administrative parts of their boss’ role, so this will mean that they have a significant amount of dealings with Human Resources.
- Touch Typing Skills: Expert PA explains how to impro...
An experienced PA explains how to improve touch typing skills. This is a fundamental skill in the workplace.
- PA Training: Business Emails
A PA must send out professional emails frequently. This will help by giving guidelines to all Secretaries and PAs.
- Personal Assistant Training can be a solution for gr...
A story to help graduates who are struggling to get into the job market. It shows how training in work related tasks can help them overcome any barriers of entry to getting their first job.
- How to move sideways and broaden your skills for a P...
How a Secretary or a PA can broaden their skills by moving sideways into other areas. This will give them the opportunity to gain more interesting roles or advance their careers later.
- I want to train to become a Legal Secretary
An overlook at the Legal Secretarial job market and how to get your first job. We also explain the type of role you may carry out on a daily basis.
- New Year = New Job or Training for a PA, Secretary a...
The economy is bad at the moment but that does not mean that you necessarily have to sit out the bad times in a bad job. There are options that are being explained here.
- Secretary Training Interview Tips
This is relevant for those facing upcoming interviews. Some tips to help candidates with some generic interview tips.