- Business and Employment»
- Character & Professionalism
13 Reasons Why You Should Not Walk Out on Your Job
When Good Jobs Go Bad
Let's face it, very few of us enjoy our jobs all the time. Some of us are frustrated on a regular basis at work. In fact, I'll bet plenty of people consider walking out more than you can imagine. But should you walk out on a job? Of course not! Would it feel wonderful the day you walk out? Yes, sure. Are you going to regret it later... yeah, probably.
Unless you are asked to do something totally crazy, you probably need to at least put in a 2 week notice. No matter how bad it gets, it is not worth ruining your reputation walking out. This is unless, of course, you are asked to asked to do something horrible, like kick puppies or steal from old ladies. In those situations, yes, I will give you a free pass. You can walk out.
Most of the time, we just have to tough it out no matter how many times you end up hiding in the bathroom crying. Let's explore some of the reasons why walking out is a bad idea. That way, if you do walk out on your job, you can't say I never warned you. Oh, I am so kind and generous in that way!
Reasons Why You Should Not Walk Out:
- Yes, you may feel exhilarated and liberated and all sorts of other feelings that end with the word "rated" at the time, but when you are checking every job site that exists and no one is hiring, your happy feelings are going to plummet.
- Sure it may seem like you can never watch enough TV, but you can only watch all those Kardashian shows so many times on E! channel before you throw the remote control at the TV. That is going to be expensive to repair; you certainly don't have that kind of money anymore!
- When you are sitting at home all day, you will start to realize just how much toilet paper you go through each day. You will have plenty of free time to eat, but no money to buy food. Your electric bill is going to soar since you are home all day without anywhere to go. You are going to zip through your resources pretty quickly and then just sit in the dark day after day.
- Sitting around watching your neighbors go to work is most unpleasant when you are unemployed. This is especially the case when they get home with things you can't have any longer... like food.
- Flipping burgers can be fun for about 3 weeks, but the excitement wears off when you get that first paycheck. You have just sweated over a hot burner for days and barely made any money at all. I'll bet you are missing your old job! Unless, of course, your old job was flipping burgers. In that case, you just broke even.
- Going back to your old job about a month after you've walked out is fairly humiliating. You thought your job was bad before, but just wait until you are begging to get it back with a pay cut!
- Your pets are going to get tired of looking at you everyday. Kitty used to be able to peacefully nap all day long, but your loud weeping is ruining her beauty sleep. Even Tweety can't figure out why you are hanging out all the time and no longer sings a sweet song to you.
- You might be the outdoorsy type, but hanging out on the corner begging for change is not a fun adventure. It is a tad bit dangerous and typically not a good financial idea.
- Did you know you can get arrested for diving into public fountains and taking the change people have dropped in it? Just thought I would mention that one.
- Inevitably, even if you are the healthiest person on the planet, you will get seriously ill about one month after your health insurance ends. Perhaps you will fall and break your leg. Maybe you will get tonsillitis. What if you catch the swine flu? The possibilities are unlimited. Have no doubt though, you will get sick and won't be able to pay for it.
- You won't look forward to the weekend anymore. As a matter of fact, you won't even know it is the weekend since everyday is the same.
- Staring at the phone hoping you will get a call about a job interview is a sad way to spend the day.
- What kind of answer will you give people at parties if they ask the standard, "What do you do?" question? You will be speechless. And that is only if anyone even invites you to parties anymore. Now you are the friend that walked out on a job in this economy. Yeah, you are that guy or gal! Don't be that person!
Copyright ©2013 Jeannieinabottle
This is what happens when you walk out on your job...
Have you ever walked out on a job?
Even More Fun With Jobs!
- Don't Take Your Mom To Job Interviews
I keep hearing more and more stories of Moms going on job interviews with their adult kids in their 20s. Don't become one of those people!
- Statements You Probably Shouldn't Make at a Job Inte...
If you are going for a new job, you don't want to mess up the interview. Check out this list of statements you probably shouldn't make at a job interview.
- Faking Your Way Through the Day - A Survival Guide t...
Fake your way to success at your job! Maybe you are not happy with your position, but you can easily fake your way through the day with this guide.
- 20 Signs You Need to Start Looking for a New Job
Think you need to leave your job? How about a helpful list? You can read the 20 signs you need to start looking for a new job and decide if it's time to go.