jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can a former employer that you resigned from discuss your employment with other

1. profile image46
    perkules30posted 7 years ago

Can a former employer that you resigned from discuss your employment with other businesses?

I resigned my position and have found out that my former employer has been talking about me to other businesses and is hurting my chances for getting a new job.. Is this legal?

2. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

if what your former employer is saying is true then you shouldn't have the right to sue. just because you resigned doesn't give you a free ticket to work for others without them knowing what kind of an employee you are. on the other hand if your former employer is slandering you with lies and false accusations then sue the crap out of him.

3. mkott profile image76
    mkottposted 7 years ago

I'm not a lawyer but believe you could take him to civil court.  Sounds like 'defamation' of character.  Also need to know your labor laws for your state.  Some states have laws that limit what a former employer can say about a former employee.  Some states have "blacklisting" laws which means a former employer who intentionally blocks you from new employment.  Also what are the companies policies?  Some state you can only mention if the former employee is "rehireable".

4. Tom T profile image69
    Tom Tposted 7 years ago

If you are in the US, my suggestion is to get to a government employment office and tell them what is going on. Some states have fair Housing & Employment offices. Other states may differ but all should have someone in charge of this type of thing.  If it is impacting your ability to get a job, you may have a case to at least get them to stop talking if not demand to be compensated.

working