jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

can a former employer disclose FMLA for a chronic illness to potential future em

1. profile image46
    synchrocketposted 7 years ago

can a former employer disclose FMLA for a chronic illness to potential future employers ?

when a potential future employer calls to  verify employment with a previous employer can the previous employer disclose your medical records and if you had FMLA

2. RunnerJane33 profile image49
    RunnerJane33posted 7 years ago

I don't know if they legally can but I don't see how that would be brought up in the conversation. For the most part, they just call past employers to confirm that you worked there and are not making things up. Most places don't even ask if you are eligible for rehire, which used to be really common. Perhaps if you listed someone at that company as a reference, and they were evil and wanted to rat you out, they might tell a future employer.

But could this legally happen? Hopefully someone weighs in for you.

3. dragonlady1967 profile image86
    dragonlady1967posted 7 years ago

Last time I heard (while I worked for a VP of Human Resources) they can only ask if you actually worked there, salary info, and if they would rehire.  Nowadays they don't even ask the rehire question.   If you are really worried try something I did once; have a relative call and pretend they are hiring you.  You have to be really quiet and listen in, but will find out if they are "Black listing" you or not.

4. Barbara Kay profile image90
    Barbara Kayposted 7 years ago

I agree with dragonlady1967. You can sue a past employer if they give out imformation other than that.

working