jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How can I find out if I'm being blacklisted or blackballed by a former employer?

1. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 3 years ago

How can I find out if I'm being blacklisted or blackballed by a former employer?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Probably the easiest way is to have a friend call your former employer for a reference and act as though they're considering hiring you.
    Note: most large companies with (HR departments) will only confirm the period you worked there and your title. They want to avoid the risk of lawsuits.
    Having said that if someone contacts your former manager directly they may  go beyond the bounds of simply confirming you worked there. A common question often asked of former managers is:
    If you had the opportunity to hire her or him again would you? Why or Why not?
    Smart managers reiterate the company policy by stating; "I'm only allowed to confirm she/he worked for me and their responsibilities were...etc"
    Note: If you listed your former manager as "personal reference" then they're likely to be more candid in answering questions. Ideally no one would list a (personal reference) whom they thought wouldn't give them a "glowing" one.

Esenbeeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer!! I was in fact considering having a friend of mine call my former employer, as you said....some great insight, thanks again!

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I like Dashings answer of have a friend call and pretend to be someone calling for an employment reference. If a former employer is giving out details other than when you worked there and the job description, he or she is in the wrong. It may cause more problems than some people think it's worth, but if I found out a former employer was saying bad things about me, I'd call them and give them an ultimatum - stop doing it or they'll get sued.

Esenbeeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Lol, you're right! I'll do the exact same thing! Its very wrong for an old employer to do that. Thanks for your answer!

working