jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How is it legal for an employer to fire someone after reading a post on social m

1. rroberts1 profile image60
    rroberts1posted 6 years ago

How is it legal for an employer to fire someone after reading a post on social media site?

2. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

When someone tells the employer they are sick in bed and then post photos of them at an event that day I guess that would be one of a few reasons .
    After signing a confidelity agreement if you then posted information about work that is another good reason to fire you . There is a hub on it with some good reasons by emievil to read.

3. LucidDreams profile image72
    LucidDreamsposted 6 years ago

This whole thing with social media really does make me laugh. Of course losing your job is no laughing matter, and I hope that whoever may have been terminated did not lose their job because of writing on social media.

Unfortunately things are not quite as simple as they used to be. There was a time when a person could call in sick and fake a cough or two. Now days people just cannot stay off of their social profiles......sick or not they have to post and reply.

Many say things that are not good for their careers, thus they get fired or demoted. If I called in sick I would have enough sense not to post myself drinking a beer while sailing in the Gulf Of Mexico. (just happen to live here but seemed like a good comparison).

There are many reasons that a person may get fired for social media indescretions.....it all depends on what was signed before starting the job and what happened. Obviously....even without ignoring some kind of non-disclosure form....a person can get fired for taking the day off and then bragging online about how much fun it is to go to the amusement park. Employers hire employees to work..yes it's ok to take a day off for good reason....just dont lie then be a fool posting your business on the internet.

4. HannahRiley profile image59
    HannahRileyposted 6 years ago

Hmmm, that's certainly something to think about? I would think that it would be a good reason for a reprimand. I mean, if you are faking sick & then you post pictures of you doing a keg stand or comments about a party...then yes I think the boss could bring it up. It would have been from the employees carelessness that the boss found it anyway. Even if you aren't friends with your boss on facebook, whose to say that the employee that you thought was trustworthy wouldn't drop a note their way? I mean, if you are at a St. Patty's day festival, wouldn't they be a little jealous & perhaps want to see your good time have some consequences. Or maybe not...but why take that chance. Other things to consider, like are you posting mean things about your coworkers/boss, or are you posting pictures of you doing illegal things that someone may not wish to have represent them as a company, or are you being controversial? I think if you are asking this question, you may be looking to stir the pot anyway...if you wouldn't want you boss, your mom or dad or your future mother in law to see it....don't post it!!! the internet can be abused so easily.....(also not saying this is you asking, just answering in general) smile

5. rroberts1 profile image60
    rroberts1posted 6 years ago

My biggest complaint is that there is nothing that governs privacy of social media sites preventing employers from viewing outside information of the applicant.

working