Social Media Can Bring Good to Great Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (48 posts)
  1. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8246465_f248.jpg

I see a lot of people post that they have no traffic or that the traffic on their Hub Pages is dropping or the lowest ever. But are they doing anything to build their traffic or trying to find sites to post links to their Hub Pages that will bring good to sometimes fantastic traffic.

Some of the places that you can use for traffic are.

Pinterest.
    Twitter.
    Bubblews.

Those are three that you can start with.

If your really good at shooting photos why not shoot nice large photos and use those photos on Hub Pages you build to get traffic to your Hub Page.

I have for instance one Hub where the photos have been pinned and repinned to Pinterest and that one Hub gets hundreds of hits a day and has for over a year. That one Hub has had almost a million visitors. Right now it has had over 900,000 views. And you could do the same thing.

HASH TAGS AT TWITTER ARE IMPORTANT

In case you don't know #paranormal or #ghost_story is a hash tag. You add those hash tags to your twitter post and you'll pick up visitors from those hash tags. Do your own research and you can come up with hash tags that will help you get from 50 to hundreds of visitors a day to a single hub page.

Don't think that Twitter can't bring you any traffic. It can but you have to do it the right way to harvest the traffic. If you don't use hash tags you won't get much traffic.

I use hash tags at Hub Pages and on my own sites that bring in 50 - several hundred hits a day. And if you'll do your own research you can to.

Post a short blurb and a link to places like Bubblews.
    Post fifty to two hundred words about your hub page and a link to your hub. Use the short link to your hub which you can find by clicking stats on any hub and then when that opens click hub metrics. Look down there and you'll see Short URL. Use that short URL at most places as the long one will get broken at some sites.

Blogger Blogs

If you have the time have at least one Blogger Blog for each niche that you do Hub Pages on. Write a Blog Post on your blog for each hub page that you do. Make your blogger blog posts at least 200 words and make each post unique. This means don't copy any part of your hub.

Titles Are So Important

You need to do research and pick out titles that people are searching for or will search for. You need to use well researched titles for your Blog Post Titles and for your Hub Page Titles. You need to use titles that are going to get peoples attention. You need to make the person interested enough to click your title and look. Make the person want to look.

Okay thats enough for you to think about right now but I will be glad to answer questions and I will be back and add more information in this thread.

Getting traffic and keeping traffic is something you have to work on every day. But it can work and then you don't have to depend on Google for all your traffic. If I can do it anyone can do it. If you have any questions feel free to ask them.

1. LLambie profile image73
      LLambieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is useful, especially for me as I'm new to hubpages. Thank you.

I'd be interested to know how many writers on hubpages are using social media for promotion as a percentage of the overall community.

1. JeanaMJeffers3 profile image64
        JeanaMJeffers3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm new also but every suggestion I write down to look into because so much of the internet language or sites for assistance I'm unfamiliar with.  I've never been one to just everyday get on my computer and go online until about 2  months ago when I started writing for Hubpages.  But I read, scratch my head, and then read some more until it's clear.  If I never get the understanding and there isn't much that I do not but if so, I just leave it alone and move on to what I do.  Thank you again so very much.

2. JeanaMJeffers3 profile image64

Thank everyone for the advice.

3. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've been doing those things, except I use Bubblews just for the fun of it and to earn a little money, I don't use it for any backlinking until I know what the value of the backlinks are going to be; the site's kind of new to determine that. I'd like to suggest to people to try out Tumblr too, because you can also use hashtags there. Hashtags are good because anyone searching can find your work that way, not just followers.

4. profile image0
      moviesreviewsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great tips. The twitter hash tags technique sounds very useful and I am going to spend a day trying it out sometime.

5. nafretiti profile image61
      nafretitiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is the issue with a lot of people, they are not sure how to create good topic titles or how to advertise their articles and do back linking. It takes a lot of every day work in order to get those views, I even go as far as blogging about my hub pages and then post a link with my special code thing if they sign up.

6. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to try the items you have listed here. I just checked my traffic on analytics down, down, down!!

2. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image83
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 10 years ago

Thanks for the valuable information.

3. rainsanmartin profile image85
    rainsanmartinposted 10 years ago

I'll have to try Bubblews.

4. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

First of all thanks to everyone who has posted. It is appreciated.

In this post we are going to explore Pinterest Further.

The Best Time To Pin During The Day

2 to 4 P.M. Eastern Time

The Best Time To Pin In The Evening

8 P.M. to 1 A.M. Eastern Time

Call To Action

A lot of people believe it or not don't know to click the photo to get to where the pin came from. Don't put words on the photo. I did that at first but its really not the best way. Put in the description something like Click The Photo For The Recipe Yes its that simple. With a call to action in the description you can expect 42 percent more people to click through to your site.

How To And Recipe Pins

They are the highest click through of all pins on Pinterest.

Trending Topics

Pins that are related to trending topics get a 94 percent click thru rate.

If you have a digital camera take it with you when you go out. All three of my vehicles have a digital camera in the glove box. You never know when your going to run into a great photo that you can use on one of your blogs or on a Hub Page. Great photos bring huge amounts of traffic.

I had one photo but I won't tell which that brought in over 200,000 hits in one day on Hub Pages. And if a 62 year old man that never took a photo in his life until a few years ago can do it anyone can. You can pick up cheap but good digital cameras for 30-50 dollars. Buy a few memory cards for each.  And I'm still learning on digital cameras and editing. I'm learning everything about green screens that I can now.

Neat Hub Ideal For Someone

If you get a new kitten, puppy, or other pet keep the digital camera around and photograph the new pet everyday for a year. There you have a great viral hub that will have great success. You can pin those photos and the people will come in huge numbers. If its a particular throughbreed cat or dog it would work even better.

The Best Bird Houses In The World

If you build the best bird houses in the world document everything in pictures and then build a evergreen hub that will earn for years. It doesn't have to be bird houses it can really be anything from bird houses to cup cakes. Take nice big photos and pin them to Pinterest. The traffic will come in huge numbers.

Thats All For Right Now

If you found this thread be sure to bookmark it so you can come back to it. I will be adding new posts often. If you have questions feel free to ask. If you have information to share by all means share it. Think outside the box. Not everyone will be successful with anyone thing but you should be able to take the basic ideals and run with them.

I make good money at Hub Pages. No I won't give dollar amounts but its worth the time I spend here. I also have Blogs, one page sites, post guest posts on blogs, and various other things. I usually work a 16 - 18 hour day and I make great money. You can to. Start small and build on it. Always keep building. I will be back to give more information soon.

1. brokenmeadows profile image91
      brokenmeadowsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of Pinterest!  I'm new to using the site, so I need all the tips I can to figure out how to promote my Hubpages on Pinterest.  I have a question I'm wondering if anyone can answer- is there a way to track who repins your post?  Thank you!

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
        Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a way to see that.  Go to your boards and click on the pin you want to see info on.  It will pull the pin up to a full screen view.  On the top will be a red pin button, a like button etc...If it has been repinned there will be a number next to the words "Pin It".  Click on the number and it will bring up who repinned it.

Thank you!  I see that now!

2. susi10 profile image96
      susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should write a hub about this, crazyhorseghost! It contains a lot of factual information to social media traffic, it would help many Hubbers and even bloggers and website owners.

Ok thanks for the tip

2. Victoria Lynn profile image88
        Victoria Lynnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree!

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
      Kierstin Gunsbergposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Pinterest is my main traffic source for my hubs. The most important thing is to have "Pinable" pictures. That doesn't even mean they have to have text, they just need to be interesting, eye-catching, an something that appeals to those who use Pinterest--basically, girls my age. The majority of my pictures come from Flickr under the Creative Commons act (just make sure that you're uploading a picture that only requires an attribution license!)

5. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

I was under the impression that you could not post personal links on your content at Bubblews but I was wrong.  I just re-read their TOS and:

8. Posting links within your bubbles to cite/source/enhance your work is fine, but please do not post Referral or Affiliate links to other websites. Use your best discretion and if you are unsure please email in.

So, post the links but do not place a tracking referral within the link and NO affiliate links.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Richard:  Do you know whether you still have the rights to work you publish on Bubblews and is there a way to go back into an article and edit or delete it if you need or want to?  Can't find anything on this.  Am playing with it a bit as after reading what everybody has said about it, I am curious!

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

crazyhorseghost, you're always so generous with your tips.  Thanks.  Within the past few days, I've read two excellent articles.  One was posted by sunforged on his FB feed about the fantasy of passive income.  The essence of it was, are we doing what adds value to our lives and for others.

In regard to social media, the same principle applies.  Do our posts, shares, tweets, +1's add value to that which we are promoting or are they just another random tweet.  I watched a helpful Whiteboard Friday today on the top four ways to use social media to earn links.  Rand Fishkin again hit on value.  Rather than summarizing what he said, it's better to listen to the man himself, plus he supplies a transcript.

crazyhorsesghostposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your very welcome. Posting more in this thread in a few minutes.

7. Nicole Henley profile image69
    Nicole Henleyposted 10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! smile Being new and seeing the traffic plummet has been hard.

8. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

Set Goals And Work Towards Your Goals

If you want to get traffic to your sites including your Hub Pages you need to set goals and try your best to achieve those goals.

Remember that 85 percent of the large companies out there are using Social Media Marketing.

Don't Live And Die By Google

I see so many people get so upset about the traffic from Google and a lot of people just give up because they can't get Google to do what they want.

You need to think outside the box and try to use everything possible to obtain traffic for your sites, and Hub Pages. You need to create a brand built around you and then build on it.

I'm not going to tell you all my secrets but I will tell you this. You can if you try make money on the internet. If you go at it full time make a good to great income. At one point in my life I was making over a thousand dollars a day on the internet. Now that was in the early days of the net but you can still do it.

But spread yourself around. Did you know that you can go to Google Sites and build sites and add adsense to them as long as you have an account there and earn 100 Percent of the income from those sites. Sign up for a Amazon affiliate account and add amazon ads there to. Link back to your Hub Pages and to your other sites. If you have a niche you really like writing about do a Google Site on it that is the best Google Site that anyone has ever seen. Be sure to add a privacy statement page to any Google Site that you build. Google " Create Privacy Statement Free " and when you create the statement add it to your Google Site. Build a authority site on your niche and if you work hard at it you can build a great money making site and send traffic to your Hub Pages and other sites.

Questions

If you have questions feel free to ask and I will be back and answer them. I'm off to do some more work but I will be back. Good Luck On Everything You Do

Question:  You mentioned you use hash tags on HP...exactly how do you do that?  Do you place a hash tag in front of your title or what?  I never heard of this but am guessing I misunderstood what you said.  Please clarify, and thanks for these tips.

No don't use the Hash Tags at Hub Pages.

The Hash Tags should be used like in a tweet. Or at Tumbler or other places where they work. They won't work here at Hub Pages.

#ghosts is a Hash Tag

Example Post At Twitter

Check out these great stories of paranormal activity "URL"
        #ghost #ghosts

There I have three bites at the apple at Twitter. People who come because of my tweet and people who look at the two hash tags.

When you go to twitter keep a eye out for popular hash tags. Write these down on a sheet of paper taped near your computer. There are some out there that will bring huge traffic. No sorry I won't be furnishing a list of mine. But you can do a little research and find and build a nice list.

9. beaddve1800 profile image64
    beaddve1800posted 10 years ago

If you have a debatable article and post it on Reddit, you will get 100 times more traffic.  That's what I learned yesterday.

10. younghopes profile image67
    younghopesposted 10 years ago

lovely post, loved reading it, it should be good if you make a hub of it, you said we can use bubblews for link building but wont it be considered a spam? If we keep on posting all the links back to our hubs

Use tinyurl to disguise your link.  If you write a decent summary of the article and link to your hub, it isn't really spamming- but you will get banned if you just put up a bunch of 1 sentence bubbles with a direct link to your hub.

11. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

True Brokemeadows. I always try to write 50 - 100  words over there  on each article and I just found another payout from there in my Pay Pal so yes they do pay. I had one payment I had to email them about but not the last one.

12. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

Here's what I don't get about social media as it relates to HubPages:

Say I have a website about basket weaving.  I use Twitter, FaceBook, G+, whatever to connect with other basket weaving professionals, build up a following of basket weaving enthusiasts, get engaged in the discussion on basket weaving and become a integral part of the basket weaving community.  My reputation as a basket weaving guru causes my social reputation to skyrocket, along with traffic to my website.  I'm adding value to the basket weaving world and I am recognized as a basket weaving expert.  Score!  This seems to be the way the experts say we ought to use social media for business. 

But say I'm a dude who writes Hubs, and I have a few on basket weaving.  I also have some on Amazonian toads, different varieties of inedible fruit, How to Wrestle a Wombat, and where to visit in Europe for under a dollar a day.  When I reach out to connect with basket weavers they're going to take one look at my portfolio and chuckle.  If any basket weaving fans follow me on twitter they'll be unfollowing as soon as that first wombat article hits their feed. 

I guess I'm curious to hear, from anyone who is successfully using social media, who your followers are and where they came from.  For someone who concentrates on a specific niche I can see the value to social media.  For a Hubber who writes on varied topics, and really the goal is just to get people to read my stuff, it seems less useful.

Edit: Let me correct that.  Actually, social media is very useful . . . when other people (readers) do the sharing.  How to launch a social media campaign for your own Hubs is what I don't quite get.

I'm new here, but I've found one-time posts on forums specific to your topic can be really successful, even if you aren't a regular member of the community.  I posted a link to one of my hubs on a topic-related forum a few days ago- it was relevant to the forum discussion- and my views went from ~5/day to over 500... overnight.  That was a few days ago, and traffic has dwindled down to about 200/day, and I'm assuming will drop off more, but that surge got me a few pinterest pins and facebook shares from readers.  You can't use social media the same way a basket-weaver would, but if you find a way to share your hubs in relevant places you can still get social media working for you.

13. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

First of all group your Hubs into groups.

If you have the time do a Blogger Blog or a Google Site about each niche.

Link from your Blogger Blog or Google Site back to your Blog.

Pin and Tweet those Blog and Google Site Posts.

Now here comes a harder part. No I won't furnish a list but you can do your own research and find sites where you can post a short blurb and link to your Blog or Google Site on some posts and to your Hub Pages on other posts. One of these sites is mentioned several times in this thread but there are many more and some will send you huge traffic. Also don't forget to pin your pictures. If you have a camera shoot nice large pictures for your Hub Pages and other sites. Shoot really interesting photos that people are going to look at. Pictures that people are going to repin.

Thats exactly how to do it. If you'll do it just like that you will get huge traffic and won't have to depend on Google for traffic.

Thanks again I've been working most of the day with learning my way around face book.  I know face book has been around for a long time but I was never interested until now.  Thanks smile.

Can somebody here tell me if Bubblews allows writers to keep their articles as HP does, or is it the case that once you publish there, what you write belongs to them?  I checked their TOS and found nothing about this.  Thanks

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I started a Google site yesterday and would like to be able to pin photos from it, but I see no way to do it.  What am I missing?  I also started writing for Bubblews just to see what would happen.  I'm a bit nervous about that one, but it seems a good place to put shortened forms of deleted articles and leftovers from when I wrote for Yahoo.  Any thoughts about this?  You have changed my views on writing, but I'm not sure if I have the time to write in so many different areas and do it well.

14. ologsinquito profile image83
    ologsinquitoposted 10 years ago

Thank you for compiling this informative post. I learned a lot. I had been using Bubblews for back links here, but then I thought I had to stop because it was against TOS rules. Good thing it's not.

No its okay to post links there. I'm trying to do really quality posts there and I'm seeing some real good results. I just got paid there again yesterday and that was a great surprise. $67.80 this time and it only took a couple of weeks to get there.

Spread Yourself Around

I strongly suggest spreading yourself around over as many sites as you can keep up with. I like the results I'm getting and I'm about to start really pushing my fall and Halloween stuff in the next month.

I Have Many Projects

I make myself lists to do each day. I just bought a bunch of domains for Halloween and I plan to make a major push there.

I'm also working on my " National Ghost Information Center " which I think will be a major money maker someday. I hired a full time employee who starts working on it next Monday. I plan on doing big things with this site and it will even have a Roku Channel and much more.

I hope to make my Ghost and Paranormal site into the largest site on the net.

I'm also making low budget films now and I have a few in the works with many paranormal films coming to a computer near you in the late fall 2013.

15. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

Yes the next thing I'm going to cover is forum posting. You do it just like you said and it does work great.

Thank you everyone about assisting me as to where to find help when a Hub drops.  I seem to get feed back everyday about it.  Thanks for the concern.  I'm good.

16. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

Pinterest and Reddit have really emerged in hubbers stats.  Nice to see folks adapting.

17. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

Yes both Pinterest and Reddit can both send good to really great traffic.

18. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

Forums For Traffic

Find forums where your alloweed to have a signature with a link or links.

On Topic Forums

You need to find forums that are on the same topic as your Hub Page is on. Make a list and try to do Hub Pages that match up with the same niche as the forum or forums you have for that niche.

Put a signature at the forum with a link going to your Hub Page.

Post helpful information at the forum and people will see the link or links in your fourum signature and click through. Remember to make your titles for your links in the forum signatures interesting so people will want to click through and check out your Hub Page.

You can use Google Search to look for forums that are in the same niche as your writing Hub Pages about.

Try To Establish Yourself As A Authority

Its really important that you establish yourself as an authority on your niche topics. If you can do this you will be much more successful with your Hub Pages and your forum posting.

Questions, Suggestions, or Tips Here Are Welcome

If you have questions, suggestions, or tips about this post or anything in this thread post it in a reply to this thread.

Thanks For Reading And I Will Be Back

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the tips. Some of them I already knew about, but your postings are motivating me to get busy and do them.

The only tip I can offer is to join Yahoo Groups for the niches that you write about. I've gotten a lot of traffic from them whenever I post.

You should write a hub with all this information so we can go back and read it again. Thanks again.

19. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

No I'm going to post all the information here and also on my Blog which I'm currently working on. I will be posting more here later today.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let us know the address to your blog. Thanks.

20. profile image0
    hlwarposted 10 years ago

I'm pretty much a social network outcast and never really knew how to use them "professionally". I all but deleted my Facebook because, on a personal level, it just fueled my anti-social behavior. However, I started a Twitter and a Google+ which I'm exclusively trying to use to promote my writing - but I admit, I just don't get it, social media. (‘◇’)?

So thank you! All of your informative tips and analysis are definitely motivating. I'm bookmarking this and coming back often for advice. I thought I just couldn't catch a break, never the popular girl. Maybe I can turn that around...

(Still have a strong aversion to hash tags, though. -_-)

Thanks I'm looking right now into the Hub dealing with coping with major depression.  I'm impressed with some of the topics that come across the screen.  I'm reading it to see if the author included some of the causes that I feel can cause depression such as hard work and no pay or the sad situations in the media.  Thanks again for the suggestions going back to my discovery channel now.  Have a great day

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)