jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If a new employee smells, should they move desks or should you?

1. aygabtu profile image66
    aygabtuposted 6 years ago

If a new employee smells, should they move desks or should you?

I've been an employee sitting at the same desk for the last 1 1/2 years.  A new contractor came in and is using the cube in front of me about 3 weeks ago.  Problem is he smokes and comes in from one of several breaks a day smelling like it and breathing my way.  It bothers my sinuses not to mention it stinks.  My boss said they can't and won't move him so if it bothers me I need to move.  Is that fair?

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

I'm so allergic to cigarette smoke that I would gladly move, because breathing the stuff could kill me. Living is more important to me than being the one that does not have to move. Your company does not have a no-smoking policy, I gather.

3. aygabtu profile image66
    aygabtuposted 6 years ago

Patty, they are not smoking at their desk or in the office.  They go out in the designated smoke areas, but as you know that smell follows them around.  It is the lingering smell and the smell from their breathing in my direction that I smell and is bothers me and my sinuses.  If they were just walking by, it wouldn't be a big issue, but they are sitting about 4 feet in front of me and sometimes go for a smoke break 5-6 times per day.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It may not be fair, but life isn't fair.  If you want and need the job, be a team player and genially move to another cube.  Again, of course it isn't fair, but sometimes we just have to suck it up and make the best of it.  Since it is bothering your health, I would move FAR away from him.

5. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I smell.................modern day witch hunting.