jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What was the most valuable advice you ever received from a mentor?

1. Born2care2001 profile image74
    Born2care2001posted 6 years ago

What was the most valuable advice you ever received from a mentor?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

"Do one thing and do it well."  I used that with my kids with some modification--do one thing at a time.  When you try to multi-task too much, nothing gets done right and quality can suffer.  So put your best effort into one task and complete it with excellence then move on to the next.

3. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

My life's greatest and most influential mentor was my own Grandpa.........

I can still hear his voice saying...........

" is this what you are willing to sign your name to" ?

4. goego profile image79
    goegoposted 6 years ago

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching... attention to detail

5. FleshHeart profile image55
    FleshHeartposted 6 years ago

My parents always said something along these lines - "Have a go, get involved, make an effort - it doesn't matter if you succeed or not, you'll be far better for the experience."

6. prettylittlewhims profile image61
    prettylittlewhimsposted 6 years ago

"Credibility is important. Don't do anything to destroy it. It may open doors for you..."

This is from my dad. He was advising about doing business with other people:)

7. Born2care2001 profile image74
    Born2care2001posted 6 years ago

I have been fortunate to have been in the presence of two incredible mentors within the last 5 years. The first was law professor who turned his scholarship towards religion. During one of our regular morning breakfasts together just before his passing he reminded me that "God will find you wherever you are." I cherish that moment as it caused great healing within me. I miss his wisdom! Thank you Gary!

And last year, during a period of job dissatisfaction, my current mentor suggested that I adopt a different perspective toward my position. He suggested that I begin to write a "Book of Positive Aspects" about my current position even if I didn't want to continue in it. I listened to him, started writing as he suggested and I now experience a great fullness as a result of being much more grateful! Thank you Ed!

8. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 6 years ago

My dad always says ?don't waste food. Think of those people in ethopia, have nothing to eat, starving.  I always ask for my dad advices from young until now that i am married. He told me to give n take for peace. I love my dad.

9. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 6 years ago

From my dad:
    'never let the sun set on an argument.'