jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How do you handle door-to-door solicitation at your home?

1. breathe2travel profile image78
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

How do you handle door-to-door solicitation at your home?

2. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I will be pleasant to them.  I will step out on my porch and maybe converse a bit.  But never, never let them into my home.  When I was a teenager, my family received a sales caller at our door.  We let him in.  My father and mother were both there and quickly told him, "not interested".  He left, but we watched what vehicle he got into and recorded the license plate.  He had scars on his face and he was quickly taking inventory of our home as he stood in our living room.  We reported it to the police and found out later he was part of a circle of theives who rob homes worthy of their time!  We were lucky!

3. sadie423 profile image93
    sadie423posted 5 years ago

Usually I don't answer the door. The dogs alert us when someone comes. On the off chance that we are already outside, I am polite and turn down service- or blame the fact that I will need to talk to my husband and get back to them.

4. Melindas Mind profile image69
    Melindas Mindposted 5 years ago

I'm always polite to start with. You can always go from polite to rude but it's very difficult to go from rude to polite. If that doesn't work, I report them to whoever is above them. (This works with Jehovah Witnesses, too. JW's aren't supposed to be pushy, and if you've asked them to leave you alone and they won't, call their Kingdom Hall and talk to their pastor. After that they'll leave you alone.)

5. Janine Huldie profile image89
    Janine Huldieposted 5 years ago

I just tell whoever it is that I am not interested plain and simple.

6. profile image0
    jlcustompcposted 5 years ago

I invite them in and at least give them a glass of ice tea

7. Chen Suen profile image73
    Chen Suenposted 5 years ago

My parents used to glance through the blinds and hide in the bedrooms.  They pretended not to be home.  Personally, I'll open the door depending on who's there.  With the economy in it's current state, and constant stories of home invasion robberies, it's not worth taking the chance.  If it's a little boy or girl scout, then that's a different story.  Besides, the girl scout might be selling girl scout cookies!!! smile

8. mothsong profile image76
    mothsongposted 5 years ago

I will generally be polite and chat for a few minutes before telling him or her that I won't be making any decisions today, but if they give me some information to take away, I may be back in contact. If they start to use hard selling techniques, I tend to end the conversation quickly.

working