jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)

How should a mature woman handle advances from a younger man?

1. Joyette  Fabien profile image89
    Joyette Fabienposted 5 years ago

How should a mature woman handle advances from a younger man?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Thankfully......................................................

Joyette Fabienposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is it possible that she might not be interested or thankful, MickS? She might prefer to deal with men her own age or she just might be in a relationship already.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Rejection is rejection as far as men are concerned. You would reject a 22 year old the same way you'd reject a 42 year old... Simply let them know you aren't interested.

Thank you, dashingscorpio. Any suggestions on how this can be done kindly (-:?

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I would be very flattered but let them know that while I was flattered, I really wasn't available - but thank you.

Thank you duffsmom. I am getting the sense that it is considered a privilege to be approached by a younge guy.

5. JulianaDragoness profile image75
    JulianaDragonessposted 5 years ago

Well, if you're single I say go for it because you only live once.  But, if you are taken I would compliment his advance and nicely decline.

Sounds good to me! The age disparity could become an issue though.

2. JulianaDragoness profile image75
      JulianaDragonessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's like the movie Mama Mia.lol Why not have fun, but don't make a relationship of it?

3. Joyette  Fabien profile image89

Oh,you mean the 'no commitment' kind of thing!

6. Adrian Aponte profile image44
    Adrian Aponteposted 5 years ago

Age is but a number. I think you should handle it the same way you would with a man your own age.

I am not too sure about that, Adrian (-:. The level of maturity may not necessarily be related to age, but sometimes it is. Of course, if she has a youthful spirit as well then it would probably work!

7. Diana Grant profile image93
    Diana Grantposted 5 years ago

It depends on whether you are attracted to him.

It won't necessarily last, but a happy relationship is a happy relationship.

Thanks, Diana. You're saying that at the end of the day happiness is what counts, right? (-:

2. Diana Grant profile image93
      Diana Grantposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I've had some good long-term relationships (i.e. 5 - 16 years) with men 10 years younger than me, where age hasn't mattered. So I would say just treat a man as a man, and accept or decline in the way you normally would if the offer is serious

3. Joyette  Fabien profile image89

"Just treat a man as a man". I like that! I had not looked at it in that light.

8. Suzie HQ profile image94
    Suzie HQposted 5 years ago

If you are solely not interested based on the age difference then i would say" thank you i am flattered but i am not looking for a relationship". If you are attracted but the age difference is your big dilema, why not go out on a date and see how it goes? You've nothing to loose and maybe you will not notice an age gap.

Great advice! Suzie HQ. I believe this is a wise approach! (By the way I am not in that situation at all - just posing the question for discussion).In my society I think this is still a bit frowned upon,but we should not live our lives for others!

9. theseus profile image80
    theseusposted 5 years ago

I have had this experience with my student who is 10 years younger that I am.

I told him gently but straight out that what he wants is not at all possible not only because I am older and a teacher but because I don't exactly share the same feelings he has for me. Every day, I talked to him and I let him realize that what he feels is nothing more than fascination and a simple crush on a teacher who listens and understands his troubles. After almost 4 months, he stopped. Now, he considers me his older sister. smile

Awesome! I love the way you handled it and I love the outcome!

working