jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

I keep hearing the term "thought leader". What qualities make a business person

1. ChristyWrites profile image80
    ChristyWritesposted 5 years ago

I keep hearing the term "thought leader". What qualities make a business person a thought leader?

I would love to hear your opinions. Are there certain skills, ways of looking at the world...? How do you process the term "thought leader"?

2. windygreen profile image61
    windygreenposted 5 years ago

Ummm.  ....  This is a guess...  A thought leader is one who directs the thoughts of others.   Can sway opinions, cause others to see things a certain way.   Motivates people mentally toward dedication to a task.   Like I said just a guess, but there you have it.

ChristyWritesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting windygreen. I believe a thought leader is more a leader in the business sense, leading the way etc. Feel free to read the other answers here too. Thank-you for your input.

3. Dennis AuBuchon profile image83
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 5 years ago

The use of the term thought leader is a concept I have not heard before.  I believe a thought leader is like any leader.  They have ideas and can convince others they are worth utilizing.  Leaders do not need to be individuals in management but anyone who has suggestions or ideas associated with the organization for which they work.

Today in some cases management doe not either listen or ask enough of individuals who are involved in an activity to which they have answers.  Organizations that involve they employee base tend to succeed as they are making them feel a part of the organization and that they have something good to say.

Great question.

Great point about management involving employees. Listening is key! Thanks Dennis, I am learning a lot from the answers here.

4. rfmoran profile image86
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

I think that a "thought leader" is called that by a journalist because the writer agrees with the person's viewpoint, hence thought leader. Occasionally it is objective, as used on someone like the late Steve Jobs, but in the political realm it's just a writer's way of enlisting allies for him or herself.

Interesting perspective rfmoran - thanks for such a thought-provoking answer!

5. Paul Maplesden profile image77
    Paul Maplesdenposted 5 years ago

Thought Leaders share some common traits, they are generally:

- Highly visible
    - Well thought of in their fields of expertise
    - Articulate in expressing their opinions
    - Good at creating innovative approaches to business and problems

Essentially, a thought-leader is able to create new solutions and better ways of doing things. As an example, you could say that Jeff Bezos (CEO of Amazon) is a thought-leader as he had a vision twelve years ago that online retailing would be huge and started the website that we all use.

It is becoming an increasingly popular term. If you're interested in finding out more, I recently wrote a hub listing some great business podcasts where thought leaders share their views.

Another great place to hear this sort of thing is TED Talks, especially the Simon Sinek one on Leadership.

I agree Paul that Ted Talks is a great source of inspiration. You are right that these people are highly regarded by their peers. Thanks for the insights!

Closed to reply

working