jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Do you ever feel guilty when you call in sick for work?

1. davidlivermore profile image96
    davidlivermoreposted 5 years ago

Do you ever feel guilty when you call in sick for work?

I called in sick at work today, mostly since I was sick most of the night and couldn't get any sleep, I felt it was best I stayed at home.  I always feel guilty when I call in sick, even when I feel it's for the best.  I have to convince myself it's best I stay home.  So do you feel bad when you call work and tell them you can't come in because you are sick?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Yes, when I used to work before I became an oldie I hate calling in sick. Even if I was very sick I always worried that no one believed me and thought I was faking it.

davidlivermoreposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way, and even thinking I am faking to get out of work.  It's pretty stressful to be sick.

3. ct92 profile image78
    ct92posted 5 years ago

Yes, sometimes.
    But then I remind myself that I am sick, and that I should not feel guilty about that. I am pretty sure my work prefers that you stay home when sick, instead of coming to work and doing a not-as-good piece of work AND spreading your sickness.

True, mine may not be contagious, but I know my quality of work would have suffered.  It's just that feeling I get, that most (not all) people get.

4. BeccaBunnyBoo profile image61
    BeccaBunnyBooposted 5 years ago

Not unless I am playing hooky do I feel guilty.......If your sick ...your sick.....and if  you haven't slept you would not be very productive any ways......stop beating yourself up..... and get some rest ,so you can heal and be better....

5. MoltenHound profile image60
    MoltenHoundposted 5 years ago

I only feel guilty when I only have a mild flu or something that is not serious. However, if i'm really really sick (i mean really sick), I'll definitely take the day off. Even then I'll still have a tad bit of guilt in my heart. So, I just work harder the next day in work! This helps to overcome my sense of guilt. Hope this is useful for you!

I always work hard, which is why I feel guilty.  I used to not care, but now that I am in a position of authority, it makes me feel guilty.

6. Faith A Mullen profile image86
    Faith A Mullenposted 5 years ago

I definitely struggle with guilt if I have to call in sick. If my coworkers will have to cover some of my work while I'm gone, that makes things even more awful. Sometimes there is no way around it, however, and it helps me to remember that coworkers take sick days as well.

True.  I have a hard time realizing other people get sick as well.

working