jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Have YOU experienced favoritism at work?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Have YOU experienced favoritism at work?

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

At my job there is favoritism, but there is a reason.  It does not have anything with kissing up to the boss.  It is about strong work ethics.  Since I work manufacturing we work on an assembly line.  Sometimes the boss has certain people not work the line but do other jobs.  The boss trusts these people-they won't goof around and avoid working.  The boss on my shift uses me as one of these people.  What he has me do deals with a lot of lifting.  I really can't go into detail about my job because I am not entitled to tell the name of my company.  Some people accuse me of being a favorite, but if the boss gives them the job I do, they would abuse it by taking extra long breaks, complaining about the hard work and not do as much as I do.  I pride myself in my job and to make deadlines, I even make sure I have it done before I take my breaks.  I have even sacrificed my breaks because if I feel that I am falling behind.  So yes there is favoritism but it is for a good reason.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
      LoisRyan13903posted 4 years agoin reply to this

For promotions and such it goes by senority, I work for a union.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Yes. It was entirely irritating. The boss' son could do no wrong and had his own group of friends who would be promoted quicker yet played pranks and were crude to co-workers. It was miserable. Once two of the hardest and most devoted workers of five years left, the rest dissipated within a year. It was a horrible place to work, but I still made a friend who goes to signings, the movie theater, and bookstores with me each month.

4. Tonipet profile image83
    Tonipetposted 4 years ago

Yes. In my previous job, my boss has someone else she'd love to be working for her instead of me, and so she tried to do things to de-focus and disorient me, everything to the point of putting me in a hot seat in the middle of VIPs. Whew! But I did not give up, I tried to be smarter, did and showed her the best. Barely after a month she planned for a regional trip having me along. All the while I thought it would be the worst days of my job to be with her every second of the day for a week!

But I was wrong. My efforts were not wasted. Never in my imagination that things could be twisted that fast. She probably has proved how diligent I was, serious, quiet and faithful to her all throughout, we ended up best of colleagues. I became one of her favorites, we became among the best teams and we became bestfriends - to this day. Just one wonderful experience of not easily giving up.
    Thank you for the question. That was great. :smile