jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

Would you quit your day job to make HubPages your career?

1. definitions profile image61
    definitionsposted 4 years ago

Would you quit your day job to make HubPages your career?

2. Susana S profile image98
    Susana Sposted 4 years ago

I did that back in 2010 when I was earning well over $1000 per month here. Would I do it now? Definitely not.

That's not to say you can't have a successful online career - you can - it's just not a good idea to rely on HP, or any other site you don't own, for all of your income.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good point, Susana S. It's beneficial to remember that we are subject to the rules and regulations of Hubpages. They can delete our accounts arbitrarily. Therefore it would be very risky to depend on Hubpages for your income.

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Caleb, accounts are not deleted arbitrarily.  Accounts are deleted for valid reasons. I digress here.  It is not good to put one's eggs in one basket.  One has to diversify their internet income.

3. ayanbuaya profile image67
      ayanbuayaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

WOW! I am envy at you because you were earning 1K per month. How i wish I could be Like that too.

4. definitions profile image61
      definitionsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very prudent advice, Susana.  It is fit for purpose and evidence based.  Thank you for responding!

3. profile image94
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 4 years ago

I agree with Susana about not putting all your eggs in one basket. If I could, I would but sadly the gulf between what little I get from HP and the more I get from my job is simply too large and unlikely to ever get close enough to make it worth taking the risk.

I have only ever looked at HP as a hobby that pays me a little cash and I am happy with that. My aim is to get a pay out every month and when I achieve that, I will be happy with my lot here.

I think most people make around $2.00 a year on hubpages.  Thanks for commenting, Robbie xxoo

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Nope. I love my day job too much. Just one website as a career would bore me to tears.

Sounds very reasonable, and thank you for responding!

5. Novel Treasure profile image89
    Novel Treasureposted 4 years ago

I don't know that I would quit to specifically make Hubpages alone my career, but my goal is to be able to make enough money in my online writing as a whole to quit my day job or at least scale back from full time. I'm about halfway there. The only thing that concerns me is the cost of healthcare.

Yes, the cost of healthcare is rigorous and evidence based, with room for integration of services.  I agree.  Thank you for commenting, Novel Treasure!

6. PoeticPhilosophy profile image81
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 4 years ago

If I could rely on it definatley! Writing's a passion to me I haven't felt  so good doing something in along time so I love it, it's like therapeutic. So if it provided enough for a income  100%.

If it feels good, then it is helping you grow, that's my theory anyway.  Thank you, PoeticPhilosophy!

7. lisabalthaser profile image60
    lisabalthaserposted 4 years ago

Absolutely!  But only if I could earn enough money doing it!

Very true, Lisa, thank you for commenting1

8. jtrader profile image16
    jtraderposted 4 years ago

As people always remind us, diversification is the name of the game with any type of investment. Since Hubpages is more of a long time investment, it pays to spread your efforts around, not just on this one site. With a good plan it is possible to thrive online, if you are doing what you love.

That sounds like an excellent business and personal satisfaction model to follow.  Thank you for commenting smile

working