Thank GOD for the IP function.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (22 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Hubpages staff for implementing the IP function.

Tonight I received two horrid comments from the same user, one while not signed in, one while signed in - and the thought came up:

Is there any "block" option in the works or on the ever-growing list of stuff you guys are working on?  Can there be an option to block a particular IP from posting comments throughout my hubs?

I would adore the consideration of something like this.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image57
      Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

although I'd like that option as well to save the hassle of seeing it and getting irritated by it, some people can just ruin your day because they have no class and are so ridiculously negative.

It's funny though when someone tries to leave a comment "offline" and thinks their not being seen, then they sign onto their account and leave a comment and don't realize both instances give them away.

2. adrainsean profile image40
    adrainseanposted 15 years ago

well why dont you keep your comments in moderation ( i think you do ), and just delete the hate  comments you have been getting. Game over, with just a click. The guy will give up once he/she sees the filthy comments are not published soooner or later.

but IP blockage wold be a more elegant and one time solution forever , thing wait till this function comes...

1. Jerrico Usher profile image57

thats what I do.. simple and all comments show up on the same screen when he has a rampage...

2. Jerrico Usher profile image57

it would also solve the issue of not being able to remove them from being your fan, cause if you block their IP they can't even leave fan mail smile or what if you blocked their IP it removed them from your fan list smile hmmm.... ok neurons sparking...

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

No, I think you should keep an eye on it and if this person posts nasty comments frequently then report them to hub pages. If they are a member they should have their account cancelled if they make a habit of it, personal attacks are not allowed here.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That might be a good solution.

4. profile image56
    fun2hubposted 15 years ago

I'm new here. Can anyone explain what's it all about in this thread?

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You can't pick and choose your fans. You can f**k them up so they stop being your fans, but you can't pick them. That's how it is in real life, and I personally like that hubpages do emulate it. smile

6. gamergirl profile image85

I don't care if haters are a part of my fan club.  That just means they get more irritated when they see my posts, hubs, etcetera.

What I do care about is having the option to block comments from a particular IP.  Then I wouldn't have to worry about some jerk like anime_nanet swooping in and saying bad things about me for no reason.

7. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

He's probably not smart enough but a lot of people know how to re-set their IP address!

8. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

Most of the IP are dynamic on a network. Blocking the IP will not work. There are several options in the comment capsule. You can set these options so that comments are not displayed without your approval. It can be set to restrict unsigned comments.

9. gamergirl profile image85

Yes - after nearly a year on the site I am well aware of the comment box's options.  Thanks folks.  However - blocking comments by IP address would be useful for those spammy comments, deterring comments from jerks, and if a user is blocked from commenting and continues to do so it then becomes a pattern and can mean more action for harrassing others.

10. anime_nanet profile image58
    anime_nanetposted 15 years ago

Since 2 threads were started in order to atack me i'll repeat my message in this one to those who haven't read it yet.

I've put one comment and I don't consider it that nasty. I just pointed out something that Misha had already stated.

As for the other one I don't know what your talking about. Please post it. And don't give me that ip crap. I'm not the only one that uses that ip, you know.

Another thing, now it's you that is conducting a personal attack on me, and on my contents.

But I don't care. We are intitled to freedom of speach after all, aren't we? i don't know if that includes calling other people jerks but that's ok. But, you know what? We are also intitled to the right of never wanting to speak again to other person, as a matter of fact. Since you're "gamergirl" you've probably made contact with WoW, so maybe you are familiar with this expression:

/ignore

11. gamergirl profile image85

I refuse to post the other comment you left - and find it funny for you to say that you did not post the other comment.  Who else at your precise location uses Hubpages? Who else at your precise location used Hubpages within five minutes of you signing in?

Calling you a jerk in reference to your nasty comments on my hubs IS a personal attack. -shrug- I don't care.  Spades are spades.

Your content is pirated material - you know it, the world knows it, so why you're defensive about your efforts to try and make money promoting pirated anime is beyond me.

Everything else you've said.. well - I don't particularly care.  I just want to block you from commenting on my Hubs.

/grin.

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
      Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Given that she's read this thread, it seems unlikely that she would continue to comment on your hubs. So, if that's really all that you wanted, perhaps you should be content with that, as I don't think this request is likely to be implemented anytime soon -- I requested it myself ages ago, possibly before you'd even joined HP.

As an aside, anime-nanet is not a troll. She has left perfectly relevant and thoughtful comments on my own hubs and I have never had any problems with her. This doesn't excuse any allegedly inappropriate comments, but nor does it warrant a witch hunt.

1. anime_nanet profile image58
        anime_nanetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the support Isabella. The comment I made in her hub about adult content in hubpages and that apparently made her mad was simply reinforcing a comment that Misha already had left. That is: she made a whole hub set against adult content, but turned on all the adds, which due to the content of the hub and some words used clearly show adult publicity. That made me laugh, so I stated that in a comment and used some sarcasm. It seems I was taken seriously.

I DID NOT write the other one, whatever it was.

Ps. - I'm a he, as you can read if you go to my profile. Na Net means In the Net in Portuguese, my home country. I should have chosen a better nick, I completly forgot Nanet can be considered a women name ^_^'

Ps 2 - I don't have nothing more to add to this subject so I will never again write about it. Feel safe Gamergirl: it's my point of honor never to comment or even open one of your hubs again.

12. gamergirl profile image85

Thank you for commenting, Isabella.  Your opinion is noted. smile

13. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Charlotte, I've had this happen before, but I did not get all in uproar until the user continued and persisted for weeks on the forums and on my hubs. At that point, I went to the HP staff, and the situation was corrected, and the IP address blocked. The user posted comments as a registered user and non-registered with different names, some of which were derogatory towards myself, but all comments were derogatory towards myself.

I'd suggest talking to the HP staff, but if anime_nanet is not doing this to other hubbers and is being productive on HP, I don't think it would be right to block them from posting. The user I spoke of followed me around on other people's hubs when I would make a comment, as well as all over my hubs and the forums, and he did nothing else but harass me.

14. gamergirl profile image85

Whitney -

I don't mean a whole site-wide IP ban.

I meant the option to, individually, be able to block users from posting on MY hubs, rather like blocking people on instant messengers.

Given that it's been a few days now and the comments have indeed stopped, I haven't pressed the issue further. 

Thanks.

15. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

Just ignore the comments you don`t like. As Misha said, it`s much like ignoring people in the real life, oh damn I enjoy that feeling, it makes me stronger. lol

I can`t believe you just called someone a jerk, that must have been a moment of tension.

Alex

16. profile image56
    fun2hubposted 15 years ago

That's why we have comment moderation option smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)