jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What do you consider staples when building a professional wardrobe?

1. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 4 years ago

What do you consider staples when building a professional wardrobe?

I am making a transition into a job which requires more professional clothing, and I am wondering what pieces you recommend as staples for a (female) young professional to build a professional wardrobe.  I like to have things I can mix and match and build various outfits with, I am planning to build up my wardrobe over the next couple of months and am wondering - where do you suggest I start?

2. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I worked in a corporate professional job for many years.  I also taught dress code to business school students. 

One of the first ingredients are plain skirts and pants.  Taupe, black, navy. 
    Next is blouses.  White or tan.

I used to go to Ann Taylor Loft for my clothes or Dress Barn.  I know there are tons more to shop at these days including online.  I found Ann Taylor had the most professional young woman line back then.  I don't know about now.

I also purchased basic color heels.  Black and navy.

Then I built off of my wardrobe from those.  I used to wear dresses a lot too, so I would often buy solid colors that I could dress up with a scarf, pin, or necklace.

1. profile image72
      ElleBeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have also had great luck with Ann Taylor - especially Ann Taylor LOFT which tends to be a bit younger and also a bit lower prices.  I definitely have a decent amount of pro-clothes, but I need more of the basics you mentioned - shoes in particular

3. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

First of all, it depends on the profession. Business attire has become a lot more casual in this current IT/dot.com generation. But I will always believe your professional presentation should be sharp and polished regardless of where you work (unless of, course, a standard uniform is involved). I recommend:

2 tailored pants suits, neutral colors
    3 tailored jackets, neutral colors
    2 pencil skirts, knee length, one black, one navy
    3 tailored slacks
    lots of blouses and shirts to interchange, add bold colors and prints
    a few classic pumps, 3 inches or higher

If you're a clothes horse like me, you'll need more but this is a good start. Also take into consideration the dress code of the work place and fit in accordingly with your own unique style.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with this. Pick neutral pants and skirts and use your shirts to add style and color.

2. profile image72

Makes sense - a lot of these things I do already have, but I am going to need to pick up a few more.

4. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 4 years ago

I have a selection of neutrals (basically black, gray, tan, blue) blazers/sport jackets that I can mix and match with other pieces of clothing.  For a woman, a good skirt, dress, and pant suit is a must.  Acccessories can add to the look if kept simple.  This fall scarves are in and they do dress up an outfit or can also give it a casual look if needed.   A sweater can also add to a professional look.  Always keep a jacket handy to throw on if you need to attend a meeting or meet someone.  I wrote an article awhile back on dressing for a professional image and I found that many people, from the comments posted,  experience a little anxiety in wardrobes when entering a new job or promotion.  I advise them to dress your best the first day and observe what others are wearing so that you can follow the dress code.

1. profile image72

I have my first day on a new job tomorrow and that's exactly my plan - going with my conservative gray suit and a colorful top (an outfit I've been given numerous compliments on in the past). Going to bring a cardigan too in case I feel over done