jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

What are jobs, either part-time or full-time, for men over 60?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 4 years ago

What are jobs, either part-time or full-time, for men over 60?

I know someone let go from a job after 27 years. He has experience as a driver in a retirement facility. He also  worked as an aide in other helping professions many years ago. What kinds of jobs should he look for?

2. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

Hey Vee.......School Bus Driver,  Senior Citizens Transport Driver, Sales Rep at Home Depot,  School Janitor, Yard Work, Crossing Guard, Dog Walker, Limo Driver, Sales Rep at Auto Parts store  or Dept Store in Men's Clothing,  Car salesman, Dispatcher..........Check into the schedule for Civil Service Exams.......Toll Collector, Police Dispatcher, Highway Maintenance, Security Guard, House painting..........that should keep him busy for awhile!!  LOL.........I wish him luck.

Victoria Lynnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Effer! Those are all great ideas. Which ones might pay a decent salary so he can pay his bills? Minimum wage won't do it. :-( I am looking at city jobs. We'll see. :-)

2. fpherj48 profile image75
      fpherj48posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Vee....Pay rates vary EVERYWHERE. Municipality jobs pay fairly well, w/ good benefit pkgs.  I know Limo drivers do well, combo of pay & impressive "tips." Civ. Ser jobs are all well-paid.w/ben's. All I listed except "Dog-Care" would be over min.w

3. darrensurrey profile image75
    darrensurreyposted 4 years ago

What's stopping him getting the same job elsewhere?

I'm sure he'll look into it if one comes available. There aren't a lot of openings or a lot of options.

2. darrensurrey profile image75
      darrensurreyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Might be worthwhile phoning all the local retirement facilities/care homes/day centres. Good luck to him.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

How about a Driver's Education Instructor?

Interesting! I wonder what kind of education or certification that would require.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image75
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I belive that it varies from state to state and since I so not know his state I cannot say. If you Google "driver's ed instructor certification" and include the state then you should find out.

5. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

If he is able bodied and doesn't have to nurse his back (like many of us), I would say apply to the state. I see positions in which people are serving as couriers, making deliveries, moving things from office to office, that kind of thing, There are also good maintenance positions, and even if he only works a few years, five years will vest a pension if he lives in some states.

Interestingly, a number of years ago when linotypes became obsolete, my 60-year-old uncle, a typesetter in a print shop, went to college and got a degree in computers. He went back to work in his regular job, but just a little different method. I think he was close to 60 then.

working