jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Is going back to school a good idea?

1. Jo Harley profile image60
    Jo Harleyposted 3 years ago

Is going back to school a good idea?

I have a difficult time finding jobs. Even more of a difficult time keeping them. It seems my habit of putting my best foot forward isn't a good idea. And working together with the boss in getting done what needs to be done isn't a good idea. Should I stop trying to get a job, keep on struggling, or simply go back to school?

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

Being in school is such fun!  I say do it.  It's a great way to start over and it will make you feel young again!

3. Jo Harley profile image60
    Jo Harleyposted 3 years ago

Oh I'd love to feel young again ... smile life has a way of making me feel old, but I'm determined to keep a young heart even if it kills me. LOL
    As for starting over...maybe that's what I need.
    Thanks very much:)

4. aesta1 profile image87
    aesta1posted 3 years ago

If you can identify your problem clearly, you may be able to arrive at a solution that fits. In many colleges and universities, they have career counsellors who may be able to help. Going to school is fun but may not be the answer to your predicament.

Jo Harleyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

that's why I haven't made any moves yet ... thanks for the info though. I'll check that out for the college I've got my eye on.

5. Matty2014 profile image65
    Matty2014posted 3 years ago

yes, it is always a good idea, getting a degree, whether high school, undergraduate, master or PHD can always help people with their career.

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

may i ask how old are you and what course are you looking into? If the course is related to your job, i support you 100%, go ahead and study further because with a cert, you may land yourself a higher pay. Age doesn't matter but you need to accept how the younger generation look at you when you study with them together. When I was in my mid 30s, I studied computer media while my classmates were 19-22 years old. They were laughing at me and mocking. I endured and managed to be the top 3 in class. That shuts them up for sure.

my decision is my decision. It's not the 19-22 yr olds. Besides they don't have the experience, knowledge, and intelligence I have so I have the advantage in going back to school now. I'm going to do what I want not what they want. The end.

7. Theindustry profile image60
    Theindustryposted 3 years ago

You know, I completely understand what you're saying. I just went back to college but only because I knew that my passion was Economics.

I don't believe college is a good idea unless you know exactly what you want to do.

I recommend going out and getting a certificate in insurance, or real estate. (it's super cheap to get your insurance license in health.)

Go ape with getting your certifications, because you're going to eventually find a career that is right for you. If you don't, then you were meant to be your own boss.

That's how I'm doing it and I have no regret. Yeah, I don't have a lot of money, but I know that I'm deep down, happy with the career that I have chosen.

Personally I don't want a lot of extra money. Just so long as I have enough to feed, clothe, and pay my bills I'm happy. According to how you explained this I'm understanding how to interpret what life is trying to tell me. Thank-you!

working