jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What is the missing piece holding you back from being "a contender"?

1. Billie Kelpin profile image88
    Billie Kelpinposted 3 years ago

What is the missing piece holding you back from being "a contender"?

I'm thinking of Actor Marlon Brando's line from "On the Waterfront":  "I coulda been a contender". Today, I went on the web and saw a company that is BRILLIANTLY creating what I had intended to do with our website from the 90s.  For us it was fear of never taking the risk, never being able to ask for funding, never connecting with other businesses in a networking way that would have helped, never being able to quit our day jobs for fear we just couldn't succeed.  Maybe if we all discuss what it is that held us back or what's holding us back now, we'll have a better chance at being contenders!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12194516_f260.jpg

2. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 3 years ago

Procrastination and also lack of honing my skills (practice). Mostly procrastination, however. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

1. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Same here I think Laura, I even have a t shirt labelled "Procrastinator"

2. Billie Kelpin profile image88
      Billie Kelpinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

But guess what Laura and Jodah?I think procrastination might be how some of us who, in high school, waited until the last minute, get inspired. I read that inspiration can come under duress so we create duress. What do you think?

3. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Most people miss their career calling. They simply AREN'T doing what they were meant to do careerwise. They oftentimes settle for jobs/careers that does not utilize their unique talents/gifts. read more

4. PAINTDRIPS profile image94
    PAINTDRIPSposted 3 years ago

I think I always felt my moment had passed and I missed it.  Now at the age of 60, I'm starting again, finishing school, getting a Master's degree in the subject I always dreamed about and already working in the field I thought had passed me by.  If for whatever reason you didn't become a contender... don't give up.  You may still get there with determination and effort, at any age.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image88
      Billie Kelpinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Paintdrips, How wonderful - working on your Masters in a subject you always dreamed about!  Great Advise.  I decided at 70 that this is the year I'd like to become rich and famous - or else just plain rich.  Off we go!

working