jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What causes very highly educated(Masters and Doctorate Degrees)& extremely intel

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What causes very highly educated(Masters and Doctorate Degrees)& extremely intelligent(IQ over 140)

people to never reach their educational & intellectual potential in terms of career & socioeconomic success whereas people who are more moderately educated(Associate and Bachelors Degrees) & moderate to average intelligence(IQ 100-110) achieve inordinate career & socioeconomic success?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

What they can't teach someone in school is how to have charisma, likeability, or how to socially become a member of the "in crowd".
    Traditionally we were taught if you worked hard in school and got good grades it would lead to having a career with infinite possibilities.
    The reality is if you're not good at networking nor have a desire to engage in office politics and making sure you befriend the "right people" at work and during off work hours your odds of being promoted drastically diminish.
    A good looking person of average intelligence with charisma is much more likely to be promoted than someone who comes to work and busts their tail for 9-10 hours a day and quietly goes home each evening. Being liked should never be underestimated.
    Smart people expect their work to generate promotions and accolades. However having the right people like you is the key.
    In some ways the office is similar to high school. The popular people only engage with the "smart people" when they need their help.
    It's not uncommon for "the face" to rely on an underling who is "the brain" to make them look  good. The "king maker" rarely generates any applause or receives any real notoriety.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I know one person w/++++IQ & education who was NEVER promoted.  No one in high places liked him at all. He was even told that. One supervisor remarked about another person w/average IQ who was promoted that THEY liked this person!

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's sad but very common. Likability trumps merit whenever it comes to dealing with people. If people don't "enjoy" being around someone they're not going to promote or help them. No one tells you that in school. Social skills are a must!

3. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They SURE don't. I have seen firsthand that average IQs who are likable get promoted/even favored over high IQs, diligent employees who AREN'T deemed likable. What a crock of $%!

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So true! Being "likeable" and "good looking" are the REAL keys to success in America! Model Gisele Bundchen made $44M last year. The average heart surgeon earned  $533,084. Popularity is the golden ticket! Smart people must adapt!

3. RLWalker LM profile image75
    RLWalker LMposted 2 years ago

Well the first problem is that an IQ test as we all know isn't a hugely accurate measure of intelligence. Or I should say, we hardly know what intelligence is.

Neither is your career or socio economic success.

So it may be that socio economic success and intelligence are correlated to some degree, perhaps the degree to which intelligent people become socio economically successful.

4. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Strangely enough, I have a Master's degree, and an IQ over 140, and I'm probably a big fail when it comes to your definitions of success. I'm an artist, and I make just enough money to keep a modest roof over my head, and food on the table.

Somewhere along the way, I took a hard look at what was considered successful, and tried on various forms of that success. They didn't fit, and I wasn't happy, so I let each one go, in favor of doing things that I like, and make me happy.

I'd like to think that there are a lot of people like me, who are blessed with the potential and the education to do whatever we want, and then do so, regardless of what society expects us to achieve. While the rest of the world is measuring success in terms of career and money, we're measuring it in happiness, and experiences, because those other things just don't mean anything to us.

5. breathing profile image61
    breathingposted 2 years ago

IQ is not the only measure in terms of success. Because success depends on a lot of factors and IQ solely cannot be the ideal replacement for that. People having good degrees are very intellectual but due to the lack of charisma and quality of being socially noticeable, they often fail to make their mark. But the ones who have relatively an average IQ and moderate education, they always try to focus on their extra qualities. As a result, they get an edge in the path of being successful.

Many times it happened that the bright students give their full attention to only studies and doing good results. Eventually they do not get the chance to focus on other sectors. As a result they do have good IQ and grades but the success recipe is beyond their control. So they fail to achieve the desired success. On the other hand the students who have an average result and IQ but do focus on other sectors which leads them to the path of success.

I'm not discouraging to have a good IQ and having good educational qualifications. What I'm trying to say is that nobody should solely depend on these factors. Rather they should try to consider all the factors that play even petty roles in the path of success.