What do you do if you have 1000000$

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Moataz Kamal profile image60
    Moataz Kamalposted 2 years ago

What do you do if you have 1000000$

2. mike102771 profile image81
    mike102771posted 2 years ago

One of these
    1.    500,000 $2 lottery tickets.

2.    Setup some sort of annuity to make the money last the rest of my life.

3.    Make it rain.

4.    Invest in equipment to make my job (delivery driver) easier
            a.    New vehicle
            b.    New equipment: dolly, computer, etc.
            c.    Emergency fund for the future

5.    4,000,000 chicken nuggets

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
      LoisRyan13903posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I got #3  LOL!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Whatever I wanted, for as long as the money held out.

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

Pay off my bills
    Invest a majority-some stocks, CDs, Money Market Account
    Set aside a bunch for rainy days-Lol!  I figured out #3 on Michael Collins answer
    Retire from my regular job
    Retire from HubPages

1. MarieLB profile image83
      MarieLBposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you do not enjoy Hub Pages much.  Wonder, why do you stay then?  Surely not for the money!!

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image81

Lately I just come for the answers.  I actively write on another site and am thinking about self-publishing through the Kindle and Nook sites

3. MarieLB profile image83
      MarieLBposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Note to LoisRyan13903 - In answer to your latest response, I am just about at that junction now.  Thinking of doing the same thing as you are doing already.

4. denisewebster profile image52
      denisewebsterposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I would invest it in something more safer than the stocks. smile

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image81

Than't why I said some stocks, mainly NADAQ 1000.  Marie of course if I won that, I would offer my books as free reads

5. MarieLB profile image83
    MarieLBposted 2 years ago

You realise of course that a $1M dollars is not a really huge amount these days.  But if I did, I know what I want to do.

I would buy a good block of flats that would give me enough income to live for .....say 15 years or so without having to scrimp and save.  I would also like to go on a holiday cruise at least twice a year. 

I would like to help my 2 children just enough to ensure they have a good house and a good car.  Small personalised gifts to family and friends.  All the above should consume a good 80% of that money. 

The rest of it would go to 3rd world communities that are in great need, after research.

Gee.... that would sure be a good place to be in!!

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image81

One such place I would help is Kibera in Africa-one of the largest slums in the world

6. tsmog profile image80
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Like Marie L B says a million dollars is not a lot in some sense, yet is very much more than I have today ;-) First, is where did the money come from? If it is a gift, then it is all disposable income and not taxable. If for me it is from the Calif lottery I will have to pay fed tax, but not state. That tax rate will be 39.6% for me being single. So, that means I will have $604,000 disposable income remaining.

So, lets say it is a gift or inheritance. All the money is mine. I see two avenues for investment. First, invest in rental property a little high end house perhaps. That would be about $600k in San Diego county. That would net me about $2,000+ month income. That of course is taxable both state and federal. The net to me after taxes would be about 20k annually / $1,700 mth. / 390 wk.

That leaves 400k to do as I wish. A decent car is about 25k with license and taxes = 375k. If I invest 250k into treasury bonds or a money market fund I can expect about a net annually of 5% or $12,000. Add that to the 20k = 32k tax liability. Net would be close to 27K / $2,230 mth / $515 week. Much more livable while leaving me $125k to do as I wish.

7. denisewebster profile image52
    denisewebsterposted 2 years ago

There are two ways of looking at this question, I can spend to invest or invest to spend.

Spending 1000000$
    First ask yourself: Are you looking at spending a million dollars in one go or on multiple things?
    You can spend $1 Million on a house with can end up being part of your portfolio of investments or on a car which could lose value over time (unless it's classed as a classic vehicle)

Savings and Investing
    Putting $1 Million in a bank won't accrue much interest. However there are many alternative ways of investing your money which can pay out high interest. People can enter investment clubs or learn to invest money as an individual (eg, stock market)

Risk V's Reward
    I think it also depends on how much money to risk. Gamble it or save it "for a rainy day?".

::One other thought
    As a business owner I use cash flows to re-invest in my business to grow and expand it. It's fairly common to hear businesses merging and buying out other businesses to expand their portfolio such as Amazon and FaceBook. Leveraging my business helps to secure it's future.

8. profile image62
    Tianna Mooreposted 2 years ago

1. Get out of Debt
    2. Donate to charity
    3. Pay bills
    4. Go back to school
    5. Create your own business
    6. Help family members

9. rehaniqbal24 profile image60
    rehaniqbal24posted 24 months ago

I will do a work .. which is out standing and in favour of our poor people of village.. to  give more and more knowledge to them .. Aldo to old women and man....
    and more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)