"Bailout" money has been returned to the government

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (39 posts)
  1. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors has made a final payment of $5.8 billion to the U.S. and Canadian governments, paying off the last of its $6.7 billion in loans, the company said Wednesday.

"I am very pleased to announce that, as of today, General Motors has repaid, in full and with interest, the loans made last July by the U.S. Treasury and Export Development Canada," said GM chief executive Ed Whitacre, speaking at a plant in Fairfax, Kan., where GM builds Chevrolet Malibu and Buick LaCrosse sedans.

Thousands of jobs were saved because of the loan - including mine. I'm seeing signs here in Detroit that things may be turning around.
    Things don't seem as hopeless as they did this time last year.

So if the auto bailout left a bad taste in your mouth, if you opposed it, if you complained about it...
    Rest easy. Your money has been returned.
    That wasn't so bad now, was it?

smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

That's awesome Wyanjen smile

Now if only the Bankers did the same huh? hmm

3. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I'm glad you brought this up. There are a lot of people who thought this was a giant handout (like the Iraq War was to military contractors, f'rinstance).

And Pearldiver: the bankers have been paying back their bailout money.:
    http://newsroom.bankofamerica.com/index … ;item=8583
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126079048758690393.html

4. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

RE: giant handout:

Yup.
    For the most part, I'm talking about people I've heard first hand, the opposing opinion was to deny the bailout and then kick us while we're on the ground.

I mean, they weren't saying, "No that is fiscally irresponsible"
    They were saying "F@$# off Detroit! You deserve it!

I'm not sure how I deserve to lose my apartment, my truck, and my retirement savings simply because I live in a county with a struggling industry.
    Do you sense that I'm still a little bitter? smile

I've never heard the kind of "f#@* off" attitude from American citizens against other American citizens.

And the whole time, these same people had NO IDEA that it was a loan, not a hand out. Completely oblivious. Thanks for the kick in the teeth, now go read a book. Try to learn something.
    The auto bailout opposers evolved into the tea partiers. Get yourself all worked up & pissed off, learn about the issue halfway, then go about yelling. If you're loud enough, you must know what you are talking about, right?

Of course, as I've said before, there are some legitimate tea points. They're just really hard to hear above the squalling half-wits.

I'm still working on this bitterness thing. big_smile

5. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Well, I suspect (and I wasn't one of them!) that they meant the Big 3, not Detroit residents/workers.

But their callousness reminds me of that wife of a GM exec playing golf in Roger & Me: "why don't they stop complaining and just go get a job or something?"

6. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

GM received more than 6.7 Billion in bailout money, so they haven't finished paying the money back.

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So?

1. Padrino profile image60
        Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, it makes the thread title a little misleading, but accuracy among those in support of this kind of theft from the American people is not all that important I guess.

It will eventually get all the money back, PLUS INTEREST. This second tranche repayment suggests that it's on track to repay the government everything. Plus interest.

Isn't calling that "theft," then, incredibly misleading of you?

No! The American people didn't want the bailout to happen, its the American peoples money, so theft is accurate!

So everything is up for referendum? Let's look at...the Iraq War, then. Were the American people convinced to support the Iraq War? Were the justifications for it true? How much have we spent, in dollars and lives, in this war? When are we going to be paid back for it? (And will it come with interest?)

Sorry, that's not the topic of this thread, maybe you should start one on that topic.

Nice try at deflection though.

Reminds me of a story I had read about Harvard President A. Lawrence Lowell’s attempt to start a debate at Harvard in the 1920s about whether the number of Jews should be restricted because Jews cheat. When a distinguished alumnus pointed out that non-Jews also cheat, Lowell replied that the alumnus was trying to change the subject, because Lowell wanted to talk about Jews.

Ok, are you attempting to hijack this thread?

2. Jeff Berndt profile image70
                Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"So everything is up for referendum? " No, only the stuff the wingnuts disagree with. If it benefits corporations, or it goes boom, it's not subject to referendum. If it benefits someone other than the right wing, it is.

You should know that by now. hmm

2. wyanjen profile image69
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

money was loaned.
          money was returned.

It's not only accurate, it's pretty damn simple.

Of course, if it is made out to be more complicated than it is, there is more room to bitch...

You said
            "Rest easy. Your money has been returned."

No it has not been returned! That is accurate, have a nice day!

hmm.
              If it wasn't returned, where did it go?
              Maybe GM left it on the bar and somebody walked off with it.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But where did they borrow it from to pay it back? wink  GM posted a $4.3 billion loss after emerging from bankruptcy.

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
                  William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure how they accounted for the loan repayment but if they paid back 6.7 billion and only showed a 4.3 billion loss, they did ok.  If they did indeed borrow from Peter to pay Paul at least someone thought they were a good enough investment to loan them the cash.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No - The loss was a trading loss. So they lost $4.3 billion and found $6.7 billion from "somewhere".

Where was the somewhere? Because it was not a private investor. wink

2. Padrino profile image60

The stories written on this "slight of hand" maneuver by GM with the Obama administration as a willing cohort is where the money came from and where it went.

Posting out and out lies in order to make the Obama administration look as if they know what they are doing is ridiculous, the money has not been payed back and more than likely never will be payed back!

Its down the black hole with more taxpayer money!

2. William R. Wilson profile image60

Wait, how do you see that?  The article says they paid everything in full, with interest. 

Read instead of criticize, troll.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image70
        Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or link to a source.

To Wyanjen, I think a lot of the animosity to Detroit comes from the perception that US manufacturers have been making substandard products for a long time and so deserve to fail. This is a false perception; in recent years US quality has gone way up. But the big three have done a terrible job convincing Americans that their cars are once again as good as or better than the foreign competition.

This is understandable, since in the days of low quality, low reliability, and low fuel economy, US manufacturers tried to get along by invoking patriotism (or more accurately, xenophobia and nationalism) to get Americans to buy American cars that weren't as good as the competition. It's going to be hard to win back American consumers, especially after this bailout (and it was a bailout, even though the money is being repaid).

On the other hand, I advised my mom to invest a small windfall in Ford last year, and she more than doubled her money. smile

Yeah, Ford has been doing some good things.

regarding fuel economy: there was so much criticism about SUVs dominating the lots...
          but they weren't going unsold now, were they? wink

Remember the Geo Metro? 40 MPG.
          People wouldn't buy it though, they stampeded to the SUVs.

2. Padrino profile image60
        1. William R. Wilson profile image60

Meany Pants!

Actually I thought I read "loan money" instead of "bailout money" in your post.  The loans have been paid ahead of schedule and with interest. The remainder of the bailout should turn a profit as well, when GM stock goes up the Government can sell it to the public. 

And then there is the question of what would have happened to the economy if thousands of well paid autoworkers had suddenly lost their jobs....

This bailout is looking like a good deal for the American people, so far.

3. Padrino profile image60

(((crickets)))

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

TK is wrong again (what's new?) The American people, much to the chagrin of the wingnuts, put Democrats in charge to fix the mess left behind by Republicans.  They're doing a great job of it; all of your whining won't change that.

I'll check back in to review the daily pummeling you are once again going to receive.  Thank God for Right-wing masochists.  They make the forums fun. smile

8. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

"The American people, much to the chagrin of the wingnuts, put Democrats in charge to fix the mess left behind by Republicans.  They're doing a great job of it; all of your whining won't change that."

If putting the US in deeper debt is fixing the mess then the Democrats are doing a wonderful job!

Still not TK

9. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I could use a "Bail-out" next...I promise to repay it with interest!

10. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Oh and here is some more on the repayment:

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_14957343

If you just remember - your government thinks you are stupid - it all makes sense. Sorry Jen. smile

Our government loves us!

11. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)